Is anyone buying?

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Is anyone buying a new PC right now that's not replacing a faulty machine?
With Ryzen and the GTX 1080ti launching within 2 months.
Ryzen might shake up the pricing but will it really bring the price of a 7700k down?
Will the 1080ti push the 1080 down or will it just find a place inbetween the 1080 and Titan at their current pricing?
I'm sad Vega isn't launching Q1 to give us some extra choice in the high end and possibly bring the prices down.
So I guess I'm saying does it make sense to wait or is it pretty much going to be the same as right now.
I don't expect Ryzen to beat out the 7700k in gaming which is all I'm concerned with, but it might get close enough to force a price drop. 7700k is $500 in AU.

EtnoNyt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
no. Ryzen will not affect 7700k's price. but it may give some stress to Intel, make them to do some real improvement next years.
no. 1080Ti will not affect 1080's price. they are targeting different market levels.

Built my dad an i3-6100 for Christmas (he was running an old Phenom 9500). Big improvement, and I didn't expect the low end of the market to be shaken up too much, and the i3 is great for what he uses it for.

I am definitely holding out for upgrades to my FX-8320 system. Kaby Lake doesn't even really deserved to be called its own generation IMO; they should have done what they did with Devil's Canyon and changed the numbering slightly. Meh.

Problem with that was, it would be trouble to have some CPUs in the same generation exclusively supporting things like Optane, 4K decode and not working on the same chipset. Would you have had Kaby Lake not have these things?

That is true. More a feature update than a performance update. I think Kaby Lake was ultimately geared more toward the mobile market anyway (like Broadwell). Sure, they threw 200 MHz at most of the desktop chips, but the K-series enthusiast chips are essentially the same.