New rig - very confused - i7 6900 + titan x pascal

gamepad

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
hi everyone,
I have already posted this on another reddit and I'm not sure if this is against the rules or something like that, I do apologise for it.
in the next couple of days I will be buying a new rig, however, after many and many configurations/quotes I still have a lots of doubts and thoughts.
my budget is pretty high (about $4000) and I will be playing video games at ultra settings and I will be streaming at 60fps (twitch & other websites) with a 2nd pc (only for streaming) + capture card and nothing more than that.
please feel free to give me any kind of advice, even insulting me if you feel so but I really need to get at the bottom of this.
my knowledge is kind of limited (I didn't think so actually) and pretty bad (this is what I'm thinking after so many days and hours spent at looking at so many configuration).

• CORSAIR AIR SERIES 540
  • CPU i7-6900K with ARCTIC MX-4 thermal paste
  • Motherboard: ASUS X99-A II or ASUS X99-E or ASUS ROG STRIX X99 or ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 (which one would you get? I excluded the Edition 10 because I've been told it's way too much)
  • Memory (RAM) 32GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 8GB Kit)
  • Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA TITAN X (The Ultimate, Pascal Edition)
  • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO (they don't have the 950 one)
  • Power Supply CORSAIR 750W CS SERIESTM MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
  • Processor Cooling Corsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans (it's this ok? too much?)

Please feel free to add/change anything to that list.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Can't judge the specs as they're really high-end. Component choice is going to depend on your preferences, compability wise all of your parts look good.

However the power supply can be massively improved, the Corsair CS 750w is poor for a high-end build,

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($100.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $100.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-10 05:01 EST-0500

Yeah PSU is ridiculously low grade compared to the built.

The G3 RCFPro suggested would be my choice as well.

Also with the stock cooler the Titan suffers from thermal throttling.
There are custom cooling kits available for this card. See if you can find one.

gamepad

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
thanks for your replies guys.

what about a Corsair 1200W Pro Series Platinum AX1200i?

the shop I would like to buy from has only Corsair power supply.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Massively overkill but if money isn't a problem at all it will do more than fine. It's very high quality.

gamepad

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

I had the same idea before the CES but Nvidia did not talk about it and, at this moment, we do not know when it will be released and I need to buy that pc now (like today/tomorrow).

thanks again for your advice.

gamepad

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

I agree with you but that shop has only Corsair ones and the 1st modular is that one.

Also, that online shop is, apparently, the only one that has Titan X Pascal cards available right now (I'm from UK) and the option to build my own rig is out of question :(

your shop doesn't have a Corsair RM650i / RM650x?

the AXi is a really nice supply. but massive overkill.

what's your screens resolution? because if you're not gaming @4k I'd just go with a nice GTX1080

gamepad

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

oh yeh they have VS, CS, RMx and Pro series. they have 850w and 1000w RMx.

about the screen resolution, that is a bit tricky, I'm trying to be clear as much as possible.

basically, at this moment, I want to use those money for a very good pc and buying a new 4k monitor in 3 months.

I understand that you would think "well, you could get a much lower config and get a very good monitor right now" but I have already a big tv 1080p + 2 monitors 1080p and, at this moment, they are more than enough and I want to get a high-end pc (I also live stream on twitch and many other platforms).

not sure if that make sense.

gamepad

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

honestly, you are the 1st person that understood completely my point of view (friends included) :D

thanks again for your feedback Isokolon.

yeah well I did the same thing.
my mum needed a computer, I was looking to upgrade, so I gave her my old one and rebuilded from scratch
my display (22''/1080p) is still working but I knew I'd get a 2k display for Christmas
so paying for a GPU to handle this dsiplay straight away is the wiser decision than going for a 250$ card that I'd need to replace in 3 months.

however it doesn't make any sense if you were to get your 4k screen for Christmas.
by then there should be a new generation of cards out there where even the successor to the 1060 would deliver decent frames at that resolution.

gamepad

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

totally agree with you Isokolon.

also, do you guys have any advice about online pc shops?

I did many online quotes but only a few apparently have a titan x pascal in stock and have a good customer service (talked to them by email and phone and some are really horrible).