First time PC build and looking for advice on PSU and CPU cooler

Rassaru

Reputable
Jan 10, 2017
Hi everyone, new here and new to PC building. Always bought pre-built units up until now but I've decided I want to build my own this time. I've pretty much selected all the components I want but the parts confusing me most are the PSU and the CPU cooler. Obviously if I'm spending a fair bit of money on all the other parts I want to make sure I'm getting good quality cooling and power supply.

I'm mainly looking for something for everyday use with a moderate amount of gaming. Not planning to overclock (initially anyway) and I'm not looking to run any really demanding games at high settings. The newest game I play on PC is probably GTA 4 and I'm not much of an online gamer. Budget is around the £5-600 mark.

This is the spec I'm planning on going with:
Case: CiT Vanquish (will be replacing stock fans with better ones and adding 2 top fans)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3HP
CPU: AMD A10-7870K boxed w/ Wraith-Light Cooler
RAM: 8GB OR 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400MHz (not sure I need 16GB)
Also going to have at least a 1TB HDD (possibly 2TB) an SSD for the OS and a few games and a DL DVD-RW drive but haven't decided which specific ones yet.

So with all of that, will the boxed Wraith Light cooler be sufficient for the CPU or should I look at something better and if so what? The PSU's I have mainly been looking at are these:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/Non-Modular+650W+or+less/be+quiet%21+500W+Straight+Power+10+80%2B+GOLD+PSU+with+135mm+Silent+Fan+?productId=63356

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/Non-Modular+650W+or+less/Be+quiet%21+500w+Pure+Power+9+Power+Supply%2FPSU+%28BN263%29+?productId=66516

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZ6R9GE?psc=1

Which of these do you think is most suited to my system. The whole 'single rail vs. multiple rail' thing is what I find most confusing but after reading about on here I've discovered it's not so important as I first thought and I doubt my build will strain anything too much anyway.

Apologies for the masses of text but wanted to make sure I included as much information as I could. Any help is greatly appreciated and if you need any further information ask away and I'll try to offer as much as I can. Thanks in advance.

ZaneDragon

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017
Hi Rassaru.
You will be fine with stock CPU cooler if you won't overclock your CPU (which you said you won't).
For the PSU I would go with your 3. pick because EVGA is a trusted PSU company, be quiet I personally don't know much about (just know them for their PSU coolers).
If you need 16 GB? Probably not. 8 GB is more than enough and you can add plus 8 GB stick later on.
Hope I helped :)

Rassaru

Reputable
Jan 10, 2017

Thanks, yeah that was a big help. EVGA are what's been recommended by most people I've asked anyway. The only reason I was looking at the 1st be quiet model was it was gold rated for efficiency compared to the EVGA's bronze rating for only about £6 more, however that is a limited offer so may very well be unavailable by now and back to it's regular price which is over £20 more. I don't suppose a few % on the efficiency rating really makes all that much difference anyway.

Not planning to overclock initially as I'll admit I know nothing about it. Might be something I look into in the future but by that point I can always upgrade the cooler anyway. May also look into buying a dedicated graphics card to run alongside the onboard R7 on the CPU but that will be further down the line also as I know the onboard has enough power to run the few games I play for the moment.

The main reason I was looking at 16GB of that RAM is I'm finding it difficult to locate anywhere selling single 8GB stick. Don't want to buy 8GB as 2 sticks of 4GB and then have to buy 2 further sticks of 8GB down the line when I do want to upgrade thereby costing me more in the long run.

Thanks for the advice though, very helpful.