New build after 3 years

NobodyRly

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I've had the same exact setup for 3 years and I've finally decided to upgrade and by upgrade I mean buy a completely new setup (besides the hard drive and power supply, will upgrade later) since my whole rig is pretty obsolete at this point.
I just wanted some advice on the compatibility of all my selected components. Build as follows:
Core i5-6500 cpu
EVGA GTX 1060 SC gpu
MSI Z170A mobo
16gb Ripjaws V Series ram
1 tb Western Digital Blue hd
430 watt Corsair CX430

+whatever case and peripherals I buy with it.

I just wanted to know if all this would run together. I did notice that the mobo information on newegg said that the base "memory standard" is 2133 (which I'm guessing is the # associated with sticks of ram) and the ripjaws ram is 2400. It says the mobo can use 2400 ram but it has an asterisk and "OC" beside it. Would I have to change settings in the BIOS or would the RAM work on its own?
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreaciated. I am quite the noob when it comes to computers. All I know is that I like playing video games on them and my current PC is way too crappy to run any of the current games (well they run, but at 720p all low settings). Thanks!
(PS I'm a broke mf so I can't really afford to spend more than I already am)

ZaneDragon

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017
Yes, the RAM will fit and work normally. It will run at 2133 Hz and not on 2400 (which is his max) but RAM freq make very (very very) little difference anyway, so don't worry about it too much :)
(The 2400 OC means that your RAM will only be able to run at that freq if you overclock your CPU?? not sure about this...).
The PSU is a bit weak...I would go for at least 500W.
I would also add a SSD to your build. I will make your system, loading, etc. faster.

Hope I helped :)

Low settings at 720p? That thing should be able to max out settings in 1080p and still get 40-50 FPS. The RAM will be defaulted to 2133 based off the motherboard. To overclock, you will need an unlocked CPU. (i.e. i5-6600K). If color is important, I would suggest looking at Gigabyte, because a Z170 is not necessary unless you plan on getting a i5 or i7 K version to overclock (and other things as well). Your power supply wattage is good, but I would probably stick with a CXM, something like the CX450M or CX 550M will probably be good.

Other than that, you should be good.