My first FreeSync Monitor, need help

Alerie

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Hi!

I just got this monitor: http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-23MP68VQ-P

And Im having trouble setting things up.

I enabled FreeSync on AMD and LG settings, both places, and I set the windows configs to 75hz. Now, the games im testing with are League of Legends, and World of Warcraft, im using those two because they are the ones I can reproduce tearing easier.

Now, my problem is, that some games dont have FPS limiter, so I get above 75hz, or for example lol has 60fps, 80fps... not 75. With 60 works just well but im missing 15 from my 75.

I tried using the AMD fps limiter in radeon settings to 75, 74 and 73, but I got frame skipping every time (in the walking animation every 4-5 seconds the game skips a frame, doing a little jump) So, how can I keep my fps under control without this problem?

The second issue is with WoW (maby happens in other games?), with the game settings at 75hz refresh and 75FPS limiter, I can till see tearing, and I have the same AMD settings than with LoL.

How can I use FreeSync correctly and enjoy it with no issues?

P.D: I have an "old" monitor at my parents house: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005181 (TN, 120Hz). Would it be easier to return the 75Hz FreeSync one and just use this one?

Solution
That should work according to AMD.

That monitor has a range of 56-75hz, not really worth having free-sync if you can push way more frames than that. Might as well use V-sync at 75hz if you can guarantee that you can reach at least 75FPS at all times, in other words.

Without the low-end refresh support (30 or 40hz) when you push the graphics card past its limits it will still have to do at last 56 FPS...

I would probably lean towards the 120hz monitor in this situation.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That should work according to AMD.

That monitor has a range of 56-75hz, not really worth having free-sync if you can push way more frames than that. Might as well use V-sync at 75hz if you can guarantee that you can reach at least 75FPS at all times, in other words.

Without the low-end refresh support (30 or 40hz) when you push the graphics card past its limits it will still have to do at last 56 FPS...

I would probably lean towards the 120hz monitor in this situation.

Solution

Alerie

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015

Thanks for the help!

Well I got it because I hate tearing, but it is giving me more problems than solving, and yes, as you say, I can get way more FPS, and every time, limiting FPS gives me another problem... In the end if I also have to enable V-Sync is not worth for me... Will return it and go for the 120hz one then.