Acer GN276HL 144hz displayport and HDMI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstain

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Hello!

I just recently bought the Acer GN276HL. My question is, the monitor doesn't have a displayport input and only VGA, DVI and HDMI so what is my best options for displaying 144hz? I'm I stuck with using the DVI?

Thank you!

D

Solution
I never heard about getting better colors on 1080p monitor using display port rather than dvi. As for g-sync that depends on your framerates. If your games run on your rig at stable 144 fps, then g-sync is useless. You will only notice difference if your fps vary a lot. I probably wouldn't bother with it at all unless my fps drops below 60, but in that case it's better to invest in more powerful GPU rather than g-sync monitor.

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

DisplayPort>HDMI>DVI>VGA>S-Video.
You should go with the HDMI port.

Dstain

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014

But is there a better option then DVI?

TeRRoa

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

Hi,

I think u should use an adapter. So u could try out VGA / HDMI and DVI. on the following page u can see a comparison of different adapters http://www.displayport-vergleich.de just have a look at it

Dstain

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Thank you to everyone that has posted!With display port you get more color out of it then you would a dvi yeah? And one more question to add. Do you think I should return this monitor to get on that has g-sync for another 100$?

Sylvvester

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I never heard about getting better colors on 1080p monitor using display port rather than dvi. As for g-sync that depends on your framerates. If your games run on your rig at stable 144 fps, then g-sync is useless. You will only notice difference if your fps vary a lot. I probably wouldn't bother with it at all unless my fps drops below 60, but in that case it's better to invest in more powerful GPU rather than g-sync monitor.

Solution

superkitty7

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Hey Sylvvester,

I'ave had this monitor for over a month and cannot find a cable that will work. My GPU only supports HDMI and DisplayPort. The monitor only supports HDMI, DVI, and VGA. I want a chord that will go from the monitor to the GPU that will support 144hz at 1080p and I just can't find one. I've bought one that said it would and I can't get it to work. I've researched all the differences and it seems that HDMI won't work, and obviously VGA wont work, so I thought any DVI-D (dual link) to DisplayPort would work. That is the cable I bought and I still cant get it to work. It might be a crappy cable but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sylvvester

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Return the cable and try different one. I've read on some websites that you may need active dp to dvi adapter to get 1080p @ 144hz, but those cost a lot more. You can try different cheap dp to dvi cable, but make sure that there are some user reviews that confirm it really works @ 144hz. I have no experience with such adapters, so I can't recommend you any products. You can try recommendation from this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3062661/144hz-displayport-dvi-duallink-adapter.html

Mar 28, 2018

hdmi will run at 144hz if you use a hdmi 2.0 cable right?

It will run 144 Hz if the monitor supports 144 Hz over HDMI. The GN276HL does not.

Mar 28, 2018

Alright, thank you! So I have to use DualLink DVI in order to get the 144Hz with the GN276HL?

That is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.