HDMI to VGA ~ No signal :(

Sagar_34

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
My pc has a VGA, DVI-D and HDMI port but the monitor has VGA only. Once I have tried connecting VGA to VGA but it didn't work. So this time, I bought HP's HDMI to VGA adapter. Still, I am getting no signal on my monitor. The monitor I have is Dell E19 and its telling me "There is no signal coming from your computer.."

The computer boots up alright, i can see both the CPU and GPU fans are working. But theres no signal on the monitor. One thing I would like to mention here is that the adapter I have doesn't have anything to hold the screws from the VGA connector. However, the connection is tight enough. In fact, all the connections are tight. I have no idea what to do. Should I get a DVI to VGA instead??

Earlier my desktop had a HD 6450 which was connected through a single link DVI-I adapter (passive) which I have now replaced by a zotac gt 730. For the same I bought a converter which has failed to work.

What do I do?

https://postimg.org/image/7oqhxnaht/

Sagar_34

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Motherboard is H61
It also has an HDMI port by the way.

What I'm going to do next is I will disconnect the gpu and run my computer on its igpu, first normally and then through the HDMI to VGA adapter. This will make sure whether there is some problem with the adaptet itself. If that's the case, I am going to return it and replace it with a DVI-D to VGA adapter. Else, I will have to get an HDMI monitor. :(

What do you think??

Is it an HP computer?

Sagar_34

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I can't even see anything and your asking me to check CSM. I don't know what that is but I do know there is a CMOS battery on the motherboard which can reset the BIOS and I have already tried that. No luck so far..

Sagar_34

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Ya I still have it. A month ago, it just failed to work. It was actually a problem with the amd update catalyst 15.7, it had problems. It just ruined my computer. My computer had started to throw black and blue screen of death. From where there was no escape unless I would uninstall it completely from the safe mode. Everytime It appeared I had to hard shut down the computer which in turn led to bad sectors on my hard drive. I rollbacked the drivers to 15.6, 14.9 and even the beta versions. But nothing worked. I also degraded my windows back to 7. Even then, the problem didn't go so I had decided to throw that crap awy and since my pc has a small 250w PSU gt 730 was the best I could get without any risk whatsoever. So I went ahead and bought it right away.

Sagar_34

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I have never ran my pc without a dedicated graphics card. Although it might work, as I have heard, Intel HD 2000 is terrible. Anyways, I have uninstalled the amd thing completely using DDU. So, evem with the amd HD 6450, pc works but in 800*600. Not too bad but I don't wanna deal with and anymore :(

Sagar_34

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Hey.. I checked everything again and guess what?
I'm not getting any signal either with any of the GPUs or the iGPU itself. The monitor just goes into the power saver mode automatically.. Nothing else. And i think it's unlikely that the problem is with the ho HDMI to VGA adapter. It was the most expensive adapter that I found on Amazon. So I had ordered it thinking that you get what you pay for. I also called dell and they've asked me to first try connecting another monitor to the pc to see if the monitor is faulty. According to that, hey will send me a replacemet to whatever that's not working right..

Sagar_34

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Heyy
You're right.
The problem was pc related
Now I have fixed it myself :)
Although im not sure what the actual problem was...

As i had already successfully tried connecting the monitor to my laptop as a second monitor via the standard VGA cable, i was sure the problem was neither with the monitor or the cable itself.

What i did is i unplugged the cpu, opened up the case and then reset the cmos battery, reseated the ram, removed and re installled the graphics card and then turned it on. All of a sudden, it started to work. (I had to do this multiple times). After this, i replaced that gpu with the GT 730 and connected it to the monitor via the HPs HDMI to VGA adapter. Surpisingly it worked as well and im glad it did because i had paid a premium price for that adapter. Im so happy...

=> iGPU doesnt work at all with my H61 Mini-ITX motherboard.