SSD died with OS and don't know what to do to use product key

C0NQU3R3R

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
I was on my computer one day when my motherboard died. not only did the sata 0 slot die but it re-wrote itself to sata 1. Along with this happening my windows 10 os died and cannot be seen as a bootable device; however, if i use an external reader all of my files are there. I was wanting to know if there was a way to move my windows 10 product key off of it and do a clean install and use the same product key.

Solution
When you upgraded your PC to windows 10, Microsoft recorded the licence key + the machine key (a code that matches parts in old PC) + the email address you gave them to register your upgrade, on a server so if you install Win 10 on same PC again it will always activate. So if all you changed was the hdd, it would auto activate... but you say the motherboard died as well?

In the past, prior to the Anniversary edition of win 10 (that came out 5 months ago so you should have it by now), changing motherboards would deactivate Windows 10 and could mean a new Licence is needed, but since the update you can now move your licence to a new motherboard. Now whether it will happen or not is another question. If the user you use to login is the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you upgraded your PC to windows 10, Microsoft recorded the licence key + the machine key (a code that matches parts in old PC) + the email address you gave them to register your upgrade, on a server so if you install Win 10 on same PC again it will always activate. So if all you changed was the hdd, it would auto activate... but you say the motherboard died as well?

In the past, prior to the Anniversary edition of win 10 (that came out 5 months ago so you should have it by now), changing motherboards would deactivate Windows 10 and could mean a new Licence is needed, but since the update you can now move your licence to a new motherboard. Now whether it will happen or not is another question. If the user you use to login is the email address that you gave them to register Win 10, then your licence key is already linked to your email address. Otherwise its still linked to the old PC.

What I would do is download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, as it is latest version of win 10 and supports the move.

When you reach screen of installer asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue the process.

Once you have it all installed, and its shows as uniactivated, then follow this Guide and it will show you how to reactivate PC. If it works then it will move licence to new PC, otherwise you will have to contact MS and explain what you did, they should fix it up for you.

Solution