Can't log in with new account I just created

Status
Not open for further replies.

clh4254

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I've never had an account on Tom's Hardware before. I created a new account last week (NOT this account, a different account). I got the email to validate the account, which I did. But I cannot log in with that account. Whenever I try to log in with that account, I get a server error like this:

500 - Uh oh, something went wrong.

Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide have switched to a new login system. We have done our best to minimize the impact on our members, but we understand some users may have trouble logging in with their credentials.

Then, even if I close all my browser windows entirely, even reboot the PC, and then try again, I get the above error immediately after I click the "Login/Sign Up" link, without even being prompted for my account info. This happens on any PC or browser (IE, Edge, Chrome) I try.

I have tried this almost every day, several times throughout the day, for the last week or so, since I created that account, on 5 different PCs and all 3 browsers on those 5 PCs, and get the same results as described above.

So I created this 2nd account that I'm posting this message from now, just to see if there was a general issue with the Tom's web site, or something specific to the original account I tried to create. This account that I'm posting from now obviously works. But I want to use the email address and screen name I created with the original account.

Help. Can an administrator figure out what's wrong with my original account and fix it if I PM them the email address associated with that account?

Thank you!

clh4254

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Thank you for the quick response!

I should add, the only way I could create this account I used to post this thread was to use Chrome or Edge and use an incognito or private browser window. Otherwise, once I'd tried to log in with the original account under a normal browser window on all my PCs, it goes immediately to the 500 error as soon as I click the Login/Sign Up link, with no opportunity to type in anything.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

There is likely a browser extension preventing you from logging in properly. Icognito mode turns off most extensions. Please disable all extensions and try to login again.

clh4254

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Thank you for the suggestion, but that is not it. The primary browser I use is Edge in Windows 10, which has no extensions. (Yes, I know Edge as of the Anniversary Update supports extensions, but I do not have any installed. I just checked to be absolutely sure.)

The issue is something tied specifically to the original account that I tried to create. I need a system admin to allow me to PM them the info on the original account I tried to create and have them check the account. Maybe, if nothing else, they can delete that original account and I can try to re-sign up using that info again.

More detail on some additional troubleshooting I just did...

I just grabbed yet another computer that I had never tried to log in to Tom's Hardware with. I tried both Edge and IE 11 (it's a Win 10 PC). In either browser I could successfully log in and back out, and back in again, using THIS account that I'm posting to this thread with time after time. No problems at all. I was able to repeat logging and logging out and back in using this account many times. It never failed. But the instant I try to log in with the original account that I had tried to create, I get the 500 error as described in the original post. So again, I don't believe it's anything to do my computer or browsers, it's something specific to the original account I tried to create.

I also confirmed that the issue with the browser going immediately to the 500 error when clicking on Login/Sign Up is due to the cookie that the Tom's Hardware site puts on my browser to cache my login. In IE 11, I was able to find the cookie files associated with Tom's Hardware and delete them and then, in IE, I was able to get an actual prompt for my credentials again after clicking Login/Sign Up. So that is unrelated to the core issue of the 500 error when I try to sign in with the original account I created.

This DOES indicate another minor issue with the sign-in page on Tom's Hardware. When signing in, I did NOT check the box to Remember, yet it still did remember me. I see that behavior even with this account that I'm posting from now.

Thank you again.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Hey please PM me all of your info. I am the sysadmin :vip:

clh4254

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

@_Johnny5, per our email exchange, do you think there's any chance of getting my original email address cleaned out of the database so that I can reregister with it? Short of signing up for a gmail account just to use for this, I'm not sure what else to do. Even the address I used to create this account I'm posting from now is only a temporary address that I don't plan to keep long.

Since there's also no way to change the email address associated with an existing account, I don't want to start posting in main forums until I have the email address I really want to use registered.

Thanks much!

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Unfortunately there is no quick way to do this. I have added it to the developers task list, but I can't give you an estimated completion date at this time. I recommend using a different e-mail address as the quickest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS