"Shut Down" Sometimes Doesn't Turn off PC?

Edit_Hax

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hey guys,

So for the last few weeks I've noticed something where I'll hit shut down in Windows, my monitor will go black immediately, but fans, lights, peripherals, etc. are all still on. I end up just holding down the power button to shut it down. I've checked my power settings, and they're all set to sleep never and keep everything at 100%.

Responses are appreciated!

Solution
When that's happened to me, it's been a conflict in the windows system files causing a loop. Notably this is usually with Hyberfil.sys. This is the main system file associated with fastboot and hibernation.

You can try a few things. In Windows power, disable Hibernation completely.
Can do the same, usually, from bios. You can also delete it totally.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3283496/upgrading-motherboard-cpu-graphic-card.html

Another route is boot up but interrupt (same as going to bios) , hit F8 for boot options, choose command prompt with networking and type on sfc /scannow to verify validity and fix any corrupted system files.

Hopefully one of those will work.

DanDOGGO

Commendable
May 3, 2016
How long have you waited when turning it off through Windows? Mine used to do exactly the same thing. It can also depend on what you were running and the types of services and applications you had running prior shutdown.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When that's happened to me, it's been a conflict in the windows system files causing a loop. Notably this is usually with Hyberfil.sys. This is the main system file associated with fastboot and hibernation.

You can try a few things. In Windows power, disable Hibernation completely.
Can do the same, usually, from bios. You can also delete it totally.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3283496/upgrading-motherboard-cpu-graphic-card.html

Another route is boot up but interrupt (same as going to bios) , hit F8 for boot options, choose command prompt with networking and type on sfc /scannow to verify validity and fix any corrupted system files.

Hopefully one of those will work.

Solution