How to delete the second login

seanbw

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
I had to reinstall windows a couple of times and now that everything seems to be OK, I noticed a problem. There are two logins but both lead to me the same user and because I login using my Microsoft account, whichever account I use leads me back to me but here is the problem: I need the system to automatically login and I can't because both names wait for me to choose which to use and this will frustrate my use for this PC.
Please note that there is only one user on this PC - me but two logins both using same name and password except that one uses a pin and the other uses a password.
I somehow suspect that this will be a registry fix but after googling for a while, all entries lead me to users but as I said - this is not a user issue but a login issue.
To make matters worse, both logins sport same name but different desktops and probably different identities in the registry but I don't know how to find it.
Can anyone help please otherwise another reinstall seems looming.

Solution
before you try that. open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

check for duplicate profiles.

If you find one, on the left, right click on one of them and export it, give it a name, this is so you can restore it if you break something, place it close to C: just in case you cant access your own files. then delete one of the keys (if you have a duplicate) and see how that goes.

seanbw

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
That wont work because they both come back to me. By that I mean they both log into the same windows folders, etc. The only difference I have seen so far is that one uses a pin and password and the other uses password only. Also they have different desktops which is why I assumed they have different registry ids. but otherwise they both log into the same place, same programs and everything.
I don't mind which one I delete as long as I end up with just one.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
If you click on start, type user accounts, once user accounts has opened, click on manager another account and see if you have more than 1 account listed.

OR if you have pro

win key and x, computer manager, local users and groups, see if more than 1 account is listed. if there is, right click and delete one of them.

seanbw

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014

Thanks for this but I have gone through HowToBeAGeek and windows centrals How To delete a second listed user. The problem with my situation is that I am the only listed user. I am coming to the realisation that I may have to reinstall everything from scratch. ahhh.
Such time wasted only because Windows kept crashing.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
before you try that. open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

check for duplicate profiles.

If you find one, on the left, right click on one of them and export it, give it a name, this is so you can restore it if you break something, place it close to C: just in case you cant access your own files. then delete one of the keys (if you have a duplicate) and see how that goes.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS