Just curious as to why the EVGA GTX 970 SC is basically the same price as the 1070

KreachersHell

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Hey guys, I'm just curious as to why the EVGA GTX970 SC Gaming 4GB (04G-P4-2974-KR) is still $576.99 CAN while the recently purchased EVGA GTX1070 SC Gaming 8GB (08G-P4-5173-KR) is $599.99 CAN but I got it for $539.99 CAN. I've looked at many reviews and benchmarks and the 1070 almost doubles the performance of the 970! An incredible performance upgrade between the two cards. I also wouldn't mind a suggested resale value for my current 970 when the 1070 shows up. Purchased it 11/27/2014, also have never have had the voltage surpass the default. The silent cooling fans have never whined and for the most part well... it's silent. :pt1cable:
Cheers,
Darcy

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Older cards jump in price due to lack of availability as new parts. It's pretty stupid, but that's how its always been. I mean, the GTX 670 is almost $900 new on amazon, when it's worth, what, like $90 used?

Pay no attention.

Very little supply and there is still demand. I expect there are people who want to try sli and need another 970 or have other reasons for wanting a 970. If there was good supply and little demand prices would drop.

Yeah EOL cards sky rocket in price because of the supply and demand issue, especially just after they have stopped being manufactured.

The EVGA ACX 3.0 10 series models are also really low priced because of the overheating VRM issues, so are technically a good bargain right now if you want to risk the thermal issues.

Couple it together and you have your answer.. but a 970 is not actually worth that much btw. You could probably get $200 for it on e-bay right now though.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Not to mention that older cards usually cost more to manufacture so the company would like to recoup their investment if possible. Economies of scale, not to mention smaller manufacturing processes use less silicon - both play a factor.

KreachersHell

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Ok well that all makes sense as silly as it must be. That's an outrageous price for a 670 and anyone who would want to purchase another to SLI is most definitely better off upgrading to a single newer card of course. I have looked into the over heating issues with the EVGA acx cards (as with any new pc purchase I google the product and add 'problems' to see what comes up) and the over heating issue seems to mainly revolve around the FTW versions. As posted in another forum (http://forums.evga.com/Is-the-EVGA-1070-SC-effected-by-the-VRM-overheating-issue-m2571376.aspx) this is a response ticket a user got "The hotspot issue is a misconception based on a review where the reviewer in question was running Furmark, an extreme usage case, as most overclockers know. We believe this is a good approach to have some idea about the graphics card limit, and the thermal performance under the worst case scenario. EVGA has performed a similar qualification test during the design process, at a higher ambient temperature (30C in chamber) with a thermal coupler probe directly contacting the key components and after the Toms Hardware (Germany) review, we have retested this again. The results in both tests show the temperature of PWM and memory is within the spec tolerance under the same stress test, and is working as originally designed with no issues.

As for your card, it is not affected, as the "issue" has only been found to affect the FTW models, which are a non-reference PCB. Your card, the SC, and other reference PCB models do not exhibit this "hotspot". However, if you wish to obtain the thermal pads for your card, you may do so, as long as your product is ACX 3.0 and has a backplate. To request these, please go to http://www.evga.com/thermalmod"

Yes, precisely, and have already sold them to the 3rd party vendor. Unless you buy directly from Nvidia/AMD of course. But you can't..

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Still not sure what you are arguing. The third party vendor then...happy? If they are screwed by buying cards they will top purchasing bulk quantities ahead of time, impacting the manufacturer. The manufacturer sets the price based on cost to sell to the middle man. We get it. Nuff said.

KreachersHell

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Just an update for everyone. My card arrived 3 days ago, I've been gaming BF1 on Ultra and R6 Siege (on mainly higher settings but lowered some for visual advantages on players) and my card has not arose above 70 degrees Celsius on 1440p with a second monitor (1080p) for browsing and applications. BF1 is no problem and no strain on the card and has high fps as for R6 Siege has one map in particular (Favela) which lower frame rate right down to 45+. Even then 99% usage and fans around 1500RPM only at 65-68 degrees Celsius. I think I lucked out.