1080p Laptop to 4K LG TV

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
So I bought an HDMI 2.0 cable.
Plugged it from my ASUS gaming laptop (GTX 860m) to 4K LG Super UHD Television.
I go to Intel properties. I get the options of
-1920x1080 at 60hz or 30hz
-3840x2160 at 30hz
-4096x2160 at 30hz.
Why can't I have 60hz for the 4K resolutions???
I don't understand this.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
When I am watching Netflix App off the TV, it has the soap opera effect and it's so much more clear. When I use Netflix from laptop via HDMI to TV, it's just bland in comparison. Is this telling me my TV is better than my laptop?

Well the TV is way better. What type of CPU you have in there? HDMI 2.0 should be able to push out 60hz. You can try looking through your aspect settings on your TV or every setting you have to change the hertz

Well, it should definitely allow you to hit 60hz. Are you trying to game using your laptop? Also have you changed it in nVidia control panel to reflect 60hz? Also try to reboot it with the HDMI cable plugged it.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
For now, I am trying to browse my computer in 4K. Although I do game.
My Nvidia control panel is limited. It only gives me one category with 3 sub categories. The only way to mess with refresh rates is under the Intel control panel. I will reboot now but I won't hold my breath.
Another Note: I have Steam opened and all text and pictures are pixeled. Nvidia control panel is pixelated as well.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Also went through every option on my Television. No refresh rate options.
When I press info, it tells me the resolution but it has no 30p or 60p shown. Doesn't tell me the refresh rate on any input. Not PS4 either.

Weird, it usually tells you what it is. Could be a TV issue..

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
It just says 1920x1080. I don't understand how the TV is at fault. Maybe I just don't know how to view the refresh rate. I looked through the guides but they don't say either.

Exact model of laptop and TV? Some 4k TVs do not have a 4k 60Hz option when connected to a PC. You will need to check out the TVs manual, most have a "PC" or "Game" mode that allows a higher refresh rate @ 4k.

Also, depending on what laptop you have, it may have an older version HDMI port that does not support 4k @ > 30Hz.

You should be able to find it online.

What is the model of your laptop?

Looking through the guide for the TV it doesn't have a nice chart of supported resolutions but it vaguely states that it will support 4k @ 60Hz with an external device (such as a PC). I then took a look at the 860m which you stated you laptop has, it only supports HDMI 1.4 which is only able to do 4k@ 30Hz like I suspected.

28dayslate

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Okay. May I ask where you found the info on my laptop only having HDMI 1.4?
Another thing, My laptop also has DisplayPort plugin. Would that finally give me 60hz ? If I get a DisplayPort to HDMI converter?