27 inch non TN panel 1440p <5ms 16:9 fully adjustable monitor?

eedijs

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Good evening.

I wanna start off by saying that I'm mentally dying here trying to choose the best monitor for my price range, because every monitor has it's own issues... For example - IPS has better colors than a TN panel (supposedly), but then again I've been watching countless horrible IPS glow pictures that people post and I'm horrified to buy a 400-500 euro monitor to see weird glows on my screen.

I've been using this Benq G2220HDA 21.5 inch 5ms TN panel monitor for 7 years that cost me ~100 euros back then, and now I want to finally upgrade to a nice 27 inch one.

I would really appreciate if someone could guide me in the right direction, I will type my requirements below:

Mostly I play/played FPS games so I guess I don't need a "slow" monitor, I'd like much richer colors that the IPS panels have, but then again - this IPS glow thing is there. Also I watch movies, tv shows, so it could be 70% gaming/30% watching shows.

A monitor I'm looking for:
<450 euros
27 inches, 16:9 ratio
1440p resolution
<5ms response time
60hz and higher refresh rate (in the future I might build a PC that could run games @ 120fps, so maybe a 120hz screen?)
Adjustable height is a must (right now my eyes are as high as the top bezel of my monitor, and yes I haven't bothered to buy a monitor arm)

I really liked the way ASUS PB278QR looked, but there are many bad feedbacks about IPS glow, so there's that again... harder than choosing a new phone.

Solution
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/mNBrxr/aoc-ag271qx-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-ag271qx

This reviews well at Toms and is well under your price limit but is still TN and not gsync. Still, the high refresh shoild minimize perceivable tearing.

The Dell S2716DG is unrivaled in features for the price. Moving to IPS you have to give up features to stay near the same price.

I spent an hour looking at TN and IPS in a local store and was not sold on the added cost of IPS. There's no use case, for me, for off-angle viewing and extreme color accuracy. Eveyone's situation is different tho!

iGetBSODs247

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
If you don't care too much about whether it's an IPS or TN panel and if you can squeeze out just a little bit more money I'd say that you go for an Acer 27" Predator XG270HU.
It's 1440p, has a 144hz refresh rate and its response time is 1ms. I'm pretty sure you can adjust its height as well. It has a TN panel though.

EDIT: also, if you have an Nvidia GPU you can change the color vibrance. You can probably do this in Catalyst as well if you have an AMD GPU.

eedijs

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

That would be a bit overkill for me - we don't have that exact model here, but any other Acer 27" Predator monitors cost starting from 500 and quickly going up to 600,700 etc.

Yes, I don't think I really care what kind of a panel it is as long as there is no backlight bleed, IPS glow, I just want nicer colors. TN has this viewing angle problem from what I've read, but I can't really say anything about that as I just realised I'm used to having a purpleish haze all over my screen that isn't exactly white.

eedijs

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

I could return it, but countless posts by other people show that it's pointless - the replacement monitor will also have an IPS glow, if not even a worse one.

I started with a Asus PG278Q which was a TN. It was fine, but when they announced a the Acer XB271HU, I was excited because I could have the great performance, G-sync and IPS all-in-one. And it was a slightly newer (and so I assumed better) model than the XB270HU (whatever the difference?).

I picked one up and the bleed/glow had a silvery mirror like quality (especially in a large portion of the bottom-right corner of the screen) that washed out the colors while sitting in a normal position centered on the screen. It was pretty bad considering you're forking over $800-900 of your hard-earned dollars for it.

I returned the Acer after tolerating it for a few days and picked up an Asus PG279Q. In the meantime, I sold my PG278Q on craigslist.

The PG279Q has a rose-gold glow which seems less intrusive and mirror-like, but still affects the colors over a little less area of the Acer. I kept it reluctantly, but what the heck is color-accuracy if the color of parts of your screen is persistently affected by bleed and glow?

I should have stuck with the TN. The IPS glow and backlight bleed are worse at washing out colors (especially in dark scenes) than any TN.

Also, the TN does give you a color shift if you move left or right of center, but nothing bad at all while gaming.

The advantage of IPS monitors? Viewing angle and color accuracy.

The advantage of TN monitors? Speed / Performance / less lag.

If your IPS monitor has bleed and glow affecting its color accuracy, where's the advantage? You know what I mean?
I have to admit when I center my head on the left edge of the screen, the bottom-right corner glow becomes less apparent, but that's a less-than-ideal position to game from! Ha!

Short story long, I don't think the G-sync monitors use IPS panels of the quality people look for when they buy an IPS panel. If I had to do it again, I'd have stuck with my PG278Q. Who cares if someone standing to the side of the monitor experiences inaccurate colors? They aren't playing my game?!

fluffa

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
picking a new monitor is all ways a mine field, if you get IPS you going to get IPS glow most of the time unless you're really lucky. TN doesn't have this but you can get black light bleed, IPS monitors can have this as well.

I just spend a month doing the same thing. between Asus ROG Swift PG278QR or a Dell S2716DG, in the end I went with the Dell. took awhile to get the colours right but now I have am very happy with my pick.

No backlight bleed, or dead pixels "why I went dell" the dead pixel policy is great. Not says an Asus would not be good, but as you say the net is full of the horror story's on ASUS rog units.

Side not the ASUS and Dell use the same AU electronics panels so its the assembly that's letting Asus down not the panel

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I have the first model of the ASUS PB278Q and it's a great monitor. I don't notice any IPS glow, IPS bleed or have any dead pixels. I guess I'm lucky. If you buy one and if there is something wrong with it then just exchange or return it.

@aylafan... I use that same monitor for work. It's a great monitor for that purpose. Also, if I'm not mistaken the PB278Q uses a PLS panel. Way better panel than the PG279Q when it comes to viewing angles and there's no noticeable glow/bleed, but it can't perform like the PG278Q or PG279Q from a gaming standpoint especially when they are used with G-sync.

eedijs

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

Yeah, I feel you - I don't care about viewing angles, but more about how nice the colors are and a higher resolution - many people say 1440p is way better than 1080p which will be a big step up going from a 21.5" 1080p to a 27" 1440.

S2716DG is a bit too much for me honestly, it costs around 600 euros and up over here. I'm currently still looking at the PB278Q and a U2715H from Dell - are there any other similar ones to these two? Not sure how much of a difference will be 5ms vs the Dell's 8ms response time - my current monitor is 5ms.

There's lots of mixed feedback about those IPS monitors, so it's not easy to decide - maybe the ones that post all the bad stuff are the rare unlucky people? I'm not sure.

eedijs

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

It's ~320 euros over here. I've seen that monitor, but honestly I also care about the looks and I hate the glossy finish, the Benq I have right now is also glossy. Dell/Asus monitors look nice, but not easy to pick one.

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

Something like Plasti Dip is an option if you have a penchant for DIY. But yeah matte definitely increases immersion/black perception in lit environments. Buying a monitor is pretty agonizing isn't it? I struggled for the better part of a month to pick one.

eedijs

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

Yeah, it is a slight struggle, but at least I'm getting closer.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Currently I have PB278Q and a U2715H that I'm looking at, maybe there is anything else worth considering in my price range? I could buy an expensive monitor considering that my current monitor is still working after 7 years of use and lots has changed in the meantime (GPUs, CPUs etc...).

eedijs

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Hello.

Still haven't decided on which one to pick. I actually kind of wanted to buy the Dell's S2716DG, but then some reviewers say that it is good, but not good for the high price and TN panel. Are there any good 27" inch non TN panel with 1440p + more than 60ghz for a price that won't cost me a kidney? I've decided my final max price to be 600 euros, Acer predator, unfortunately, doesn't fit the price and looks too "gamery".

Any suggestions, please?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/mNBrxr/aoc-ag271qx-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-ag271qx

This reviews well at Toms and is well under your price limit but is still TN and not gsync. Still, the high refresh shoild minimize perceivable tearing.

The Dell S2716DG is unrivaled in features for the price. Moving to IPS you have to give up features to stay near the same price.

I spent an hour looking at TN and IPS in a local store and was not sold on the added cost of IPS. There's no use case, for me, for off-angle viewing and extreme color accuracy. Eveyone's situation is different tho!

Solution