My friend has windows 10 usb do i just need a product code?

pimpdaddymojo

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
My friend and i just recently built him a new pc and he bought the usb version of windows 10, im planing on building a pc in a few weeks, to save money can i just borrow his usb and buy a windows 10 product code, and if so where can i get a reliable one?

Solution
Hi

you just begin to install it, choose "i dont have a product key"...once installed you can simply activate/purchase a key there & then:
Open the Settings app and head to Update & Security > Activation. You’ll see a “Go to Store” button that will take you to the Windows Store if Windows isn’t licensed. (source: how to geek)

Or, you can purchase a code from various websites (make sure your buying from a genuine retailer) and on the same activation page above you can choose "change product key" and enter it :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, you need a licence as the installer your friend has is free and can be downloaded anywhere.

I would get it from the Microsoft Store, as then you know its a good one. You can buy a download version and use your friends USB to install it.

snadge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hi

you just begin to install it, choose "i dont have a product key"...once installed you can simply activate/purchase a key there & then:
Open the Settings app and head to Update & Security > Activation. You’ll see a “Go to Store” button that will take you to the Windows Store if Windows isn’t licensed. (source: how to geek)

Or, you can purchase a code from various websites (make sure your buying from a genuine retailer) and on the same activation page above you can choose "change product key" and enter it :)

Solution

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

exactly right and is exactly what I was going to say.