Getting BSOD with Kernal power 41 error, then no boot device detected!

ezdon

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Not so long ago I built a PC the specs are as follows:

AMD 860K CPU
Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3 (rev3.3)
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1600mhz (1 stick)
ASUS STRIX GTX 950 2gb
WD Blue 1tb HDD
EVGA 500w PSU 80+
Running windows 10
No overclock

It seems to be having an issue where it randomly blue screens no matter what is running, although it is most common when the PC is just left on alone. It will simply display a blue screen for a split second with KERNAL_POWER error then restart and go to the bios and display 'no boot device detected! Entering bios....'. I then simply turn the PC off and on again by button and it will boot straight into windows fine. It will bluescreen typically 1-3 times a day.

I checked the windows event log and it has many instances of KERNAL POWER event 41 task 63. Critical error. Oddly there are 81 instances of this error, as it definitely hasn't BSOD'ed and restarted that many times since i built it.

I tried testing another PSU (corsair vs 550) and got the same issue, swapped sata cables didn't work, checked all other connections and didn't solve it. I reset the bios and was going to flash it, only to find the motherboard has the latest version already so didn't see a need.

One other minor issue is that occasionally with simple tasks it freezes up slightly then runs slow for a minute, then returns back to normal.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Solution
i would replace hdd now before it stops working completely, once you reinstall windows on a new hdd then that BSOD may not happen again, only as its a driver and you may not get the faulty one back again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
81 instances of event 41 just means PC has restarted 81 times without windows being closed off properly time before

can you download and run who crashed - it will look at bsod and create a summary of the errors
Copy/paste the results in here

the kernel power BSOD probably means you have to update a driver more than the PSU being to blame.

you might want to run Data LIfe Guard for windows on your hdd and see how it scores on the tests

ezdon

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Thanks for your reply!

The WD Data Life Guard might have just pinpointed the issue! I ran a quick SMART test on the HDD, Passed fine. Then I ran the extended test 3 times and all 3 times it failed! For each test around 10 minutes in the program reported 'Too many bad sectors', then the PC freezed and BSODed about 10 seconds after (and then displayed 'no bootable device' too). This leads me to believe a faulty HDD could be the issue?

I also ran Who Crashed but couldn't get it to display the errors, I made sure the PC was writing full minidump files which it already was, but couldn't locate the folder anywhere in c:\windows even after turning view hidden files on?

In terms of drivers I have made sure they were all up to date.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would replace hdd now before it stops working completely, once you reinstall windows on a new hdd then that BSOD may not happen again, only as its a driver and you may not get the faulty one back again.

Solution

ezdon

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Will do, I have a spare 1TB hdd which is pretty much new, will reinstall windows on that. I will update on whether I still get the BSOD after doing so.