my hard drive is dying and i need to install my windows 10 to an new one. FAST

Jami the dumb one

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
So what do you guys recommend me to do?
i upgraded from win 7 to 10 so i dont have a key (i think). so do i download an win 10 crack (which i obviously cant see you supporting)
or do i buy a new key/copy of win10 (which i wont do)

Solution

If you are just installing on a new drive in the same system, just install it.
No crack (obviously), or new purchase needed.

Create your own DVD or USB here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
During the install, when it asks for the license key, select "I don't have a license key"

Later, when the system goes i=online, it will activate itself.

USAFRet

Titan

If you are just installing on a new drive in the same system, just install it.
No crack (obviously), or new purchase needed.

Create your own DVD or USB here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
During the install, when it asks for the license key, select "I don't have a license key"

Later, when the system goes i=online, it will activate itself.

Solution

Jami the dumb one

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Ok cool I'm downloading an windows.iso trough an something called media...exe or something from an win10's site anyway. I will use (and install the new win10 to) my 2tb harddrive that I had with my 1tb (soon dead) win10 installed on. Is this an ideal situation?

USAFRet

Titan

As you are installing the OS, it will ask for the license key.
VlE0Yzm.png

At the bottom..."I don't have a license key"

Jami the dumb one

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
yeah yeah I meant it activates whe... forget it :) lets just hope my pc likes this bootable usb. It usually just doesn't want to boot to those when I tried linux, win7, double boot linux again.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Agreed with all of the above. I've done the same thing with an OEM W10 setup. My sister managed to wreck her HDD so I upgraded her to a SSD and it was being problematic with the cloning. So I created a clean install USB key, installed it, it loaded up, I logged her in and it was activated automagically.

The way it works is when you create upgrade from W7 (key locally based), to W10 (server activation based), it created a profile on MS's servers which listed you as a valid W10 license and keyed it to certain parts of your hardware (ie: motherboard). Replacing the HDD is an event which is covered by MS's policies, so reinstalling to a new HDD on the same hardware - then logging in - will activate the license and you'll be good to go with a legit copy.