Help me decide on my 144HZ 1440p display

DexterS12

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Some context. I have a GTX 1080 and with my birthday coming up, I'm ready to upgrade my monitor next (last part of my build)
Currently looking at the monitors below, though I'm open to suggestions, feel free to let me know. The reason I picked these 2 are due to availability here in Canada.

AOC AG271QX Agon 27in LED Gaming Monitor 16:9 1ms 350CDM2 50M:1 2560X1440 144Hz DP/VGA/DVI/2XHDMI

vs.

ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift 27in G-SYNC 2560X1440 WQHD 1440P 144Hz 1ms DisplayPort USB3 LCD Monitor

Pros and Cons

The AOC monitor
-up to $200 cheaper (depending on discounts)
-has adaptive sync (manufacturer seems to imply it works with nvidia cards?)

-it's AOC, I don't know much about this brand
-not G-sync

ASUS monitor
-ASUS seems highly recommended; this monitor was recommended to me when I was building my PC last year
-G-sync to go with my nvidia card

-it's up to $200 more expensive than the non G-sync alternative
-G-sync means I'm tied into nvidia when I step up in the future to a new card

All input welcome, thanks!

Solution
the AOC has (had) well-known quality control issues

adaptive sync doesn't mean much. any modern screen has adaptive sync, you can set this in the NVIDIA CP
I'm pretty sure the ASUS is capable of adaptive sync as well, but it also comes with G-Sync (so using adaptive sync would serve no purpose) sso therefore only G-Sync & ULMB are advertised

the ASUS is clearly the better screen
but 200$ extra is a whole bunch of money...
the AOC has (had) well-known quality control issues

adaptive sync doesn't mean much. any modern screen has adaptive sync, you can set this in the NVIDIA CP
I'm pretty sure the ASUS is capable of adaptive sync as well, but it also comes with G-Sync (so using adaptive sync would serve no purpose) sso therefore only G-Sync & ULMB are advertised

the ASUS is clearly the better screen
but 200$ extra is a whole bunch of money...

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go with the Asus. You have a gtx1080. It's going to be a minute, if at all, before amd will bring out a card that can possibly match the performance there. Right now, the furyX or possibly the 295x2 are the only cards capable of coming close, and they fall short.
If you think G-Sync limits you to top performance of your monitor, you'd be right, adaptive sync isn't close, but then again, top performance right now, and probably tomorrow is limited to nvidia cards.

Is that so bad?