Upgrade advice for low fps gaming pc

Bull3tSp0nge

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Hi all, im hoping I can get some advice on what route I should go down to upgrade my PC, Im a bit of an amateur at this and at the moment i feel like my pc is a bit of a mishmash of parts that dont really work together. This is almost solely a gaming pc with very little else going on except occasional streaming. Main game is BF1 and this is where im getting issues, and that is very low fps when things get hairy. Current specs are:

AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 4.00Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor [ AMD-FX8350 ]

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) Motherboard [ ASU-760MU3 ]

Gigabyte GeForce GTX1060 Windforce OC 6GB

2 x Corsair XMS3 4GB (1x4GB) Memory Module PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s <8.9ms 7200rpm

ThermalTake TR2 Value 500W PSU

OS is Win7 Ultimate

I know the memory isnt correct for the CPU, but its one of the things Im looking to change out, basically Id like to upgrade for as little as possible, but I also dont want to sacrifice too much in quality or performance. Im also not sure if its just one component that needs changing to improve things or more.

So basically I want to know if i can pauper my way to a decent rig with a few upgrades, or should i bite the bullet, get an intel i56600 CPU, Z170 Gaming 3 MOBO, and a pair of Hyper Fury 4GB sticks and have done with it? All for around £400GBP. Ive spent about 6 hours looking around this evening and feel lost and confused now!

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if Ive been rambling here!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The 8350 is already the weakest link in most games. The only upgrade that makes sense is to go Intel. Or deal with what you have today. I suggest waiting for ryzen comes out and see how that plays out.

Bull3tSp0nge

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Yea im seeing a lot of posts now about how the 8350 is at the end of its life for gaming, which makes me a little sad, its been a good CPU for me up till now, and it doesnt seem like theres a cheap upgrade path right now with AMD. After sleeping on it last night and poking around again today, it seems like spending around £400 on intel gear gives me the best bang for my buck, and a better upgrade path in the future. I think im right in saying that my PC right now isnt really ready for the current generation of games, and im gonna need to spend to bring it up to date, I just want to be sure that im not jumping the gun when i dont need to.

Bull3tSp0nge

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

Well it seems like it may be worth the wait if itll save me a few hundred on a new build. Ive also just done a test with CPU-Z on BF1 but not really sure what all the numbers mean, however while running the test in the background, BF1 crashed out for the first time ever. The few things i noticed were the GPU Core Clock and Memory Clock were both maxxed out while GPU load never rose above 50%. CPU load spiked all over the place, frequently hitting 100% but only ever on one core at a time, game stuttered and frame rates were appalling.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I don't personally have bf1 so I can't confirm much but there are a lot of i5 users reporting similar issues on here. My build is pretty similar and runs anything I've played well, but again never tried bf1