Best way to sell an old computer

Bocky22

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Hello,

Long time since I was last here. Anyway to the point, I have an old pc which I would like to sell, perhaps on EBay or something to similar effect. I would like to know which way would be best to sell it, sell it all in one lot, or sell each part individually. The parts I have are; the CPU + cooler, motherboard, PSU, GPU and WIFI card with no antenna. Not entirely sure what GPU and CPU they are but I believe the CPU is something from AMD and the GPU is from NVidia. I have a hard drive with it also, but I would like to keep that. When I am next at the PC I will tell you exactly which parts you they are. That will probably be some point next week (beginning Monday 16th January).

Basically which would be he best way to sell these components for the most profit, individually or as a lot together.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.

Parts are easy to ship, but a case is heavy. Probably, you would do better with an older pc to sell it as a complete package, perhaps on craig's list so you can demonstrate that it actually works.

Eliminati

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Personally, for anything 3 years or older, I would just sell the CPU, GPU, RAM for sure. Easy sells on eBay and easy to ship.

Wipe the hard drives and sell them too. The motherboard, case, and power supply are all heavier and more difficult to sell from my personal experience.

A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.

Parts are easy to ship, but a case is heavy. Probably, you would do better with an older pc to sell it as a complete package, perhaps on craig's list so you can demonstrate that it actually works.

Solution

Bocky22

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I'll have a look on EBay and see what they fetch and go from there then.
as for the parts, I'll put the parts list up when I next have access to the PC.

USAFRet

Titan

Well then...as a whole system, it's worth is approx $0.

You can only sell that in pieces.
CPU and motherboard only. Maybe.

Anything else is toast.

Bocky22

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

ok so should I sell the MOBO + CPU together and then the PSU, RAM, GPU and WIFI card separately. Or should I put the RAM with the CPU + MOBO.

USAFRet

Titan

Maybe CPU/motherboard/RAM as a package.
The rest of it probably isn't worth the time to try to sell.

A 13 year old GPU isn't worth a whole lot, the PSU even less.

Look up the specific make/models on ebay and see what they're actually selling for.