First Watercooling PartsList+Thoughts

Turtle_Online

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
So I am in the process of putting together my parts list and I was hoping I could get some advice on it and see if all the parts are compatible. A little background on me.. I work repairing computers for a living and I've been doing it for quite a while now. I built my computer a couple years ago with a Corsair H110, I have tried overclocking my CPU and memory but when I do it eventually BSoD's because the MB overheats. I've wanted to a custom loop in my PC for a while now after seeing benchmarks + they look bad ass.

Parts explanation
I've been doing a lot of research into water cooling recently and I have decided to go with PETG for life span and aesthetics. As far as the reservoir goes I wanted to go dual bay because of case space limitations and I decided on the Koolance RP-452X2 because of the build quality and ease of housing the pumps in series. I decided to use 2 pumps in series because I really don't know much about hydrodynamics and I figured my overkill loop would need 2 because of the amount of radiators and blocks. The bitspower mobo/cpu block I decided on because as far as blocks for my board goes only EK and bitspower make them and the EK block doesnt cover the chipset. I chose the aquacool radiators because of 2 Cents recomended alphacool in his tutorials and they seem to have very little restrictions. I'm not going to lie I chose the fans because of the RGB, but they also have good reviews.

My loop... http://i.imgur.com/kW1xrtT.jpg
Sorry my MS Paint skills are lacking. I might move the reservoir down a slot for easier filling but I think the best option will be to drill holes over the reservoir filling ports in the casing and fill the loop with my case top off. Also I didn't add any bends in but I plan to bend the PETG myself.
Case HAF-X
MB - Asus x99 Deluxe II
VGA - ROG STRIX 1080

Blocks
ROG Strix Block
BP-WBV1080ARS-RGB5 Bitspower Nvidia GTX 1080 ROG STRIX Acrylic (Clear) Water Block for ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080

Asus Deluxe II Block
BP-WBAIX99DFCBNPAC-CL Bitspower AIX99D Nickel Plated Full-Covered-Block (Clear)

DDR4 Blocks and heatsinks
BP-RAMS42PS-CLBK Bitspower RAM Module Set For 4 Banks 2-DIMMs (Special Pair Package-For DDR4 Only)

Pumps
2 of these
AC-13169 Alphacool VPP655-PWM - Single Edition

Radiators
AC-14247-AC-17189 Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Industry HPC Series 120mm radiator

AC-14249-AC-17189 Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Industry HPC Series 360mm radiator

AC-14250-AC-17189 Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Industry HPC Series 120mm

Reservior
RP-452X2 Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25in Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-450/S Pumps, Rev.2.0

Fans

2x
Riing 12 LED RGB TT Premium Edition 3-Fan Pack

Fittings plugs and drain valve
AC-17383 Alphacool HT 13mm HardTube compression fitting G1/4 for plexi- brass tubes (rigid or hard tubes) - knurled - deep black sixpack

MON-TPL-MB Monsoon Premium G 1 / 4 Temperature Plug - Matte Black

AC-17260 Alphacool Eiszapfen angled adaptor 90° rotatable G1/4 outer thread to G1/4 inner thread - deep black x2

BP-MVV-MBKBK Bitspower BP-MVV-MBK Mini-Valve - Matte Black

BP-MBWP-C02 Bitspower Premium G1/4" High Flow 3/8" Fitting - Black Matte Finish

AC-17033 Alphacool Double Nipple G1/4" Outer Thread to G1/4" Outer Thread Revolvable - Deep Black

FILL Enzotech FILL G1/4 Rubber Liquid Refill Funnel

Tubing

Alphacool Eisrohr PETG HardTube 10mm ID, 13mm OD, 60cm, Clear, 4-pack

Fill and drain
TYGON-E3603-1/4x3/8 Tygon E-3603 1/4" ID (3/8" OD) Clear Tubing

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You would only need at most the 360 rad for this.

Also, radiators are typically low restriction anyway, accounting for less flow restriction than most blocks.

Also (also), you don't need to watercool DDR4 - already runs very cool as it is. RAM water blocks don't cover the DIMMs very well (only cover the ends, typically), can be restrictive in some models....and like I already mentioned, DDR4 doesn't need WC.

Dual D5's wouldn't be needed, but if you want to spend the money, go for it. 1 would be enough.

Turtle_Online

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

Even with an overclock? I am going to running around 550-600 watts or at least that was my total input logged by my PSU the last time I ran an overclock on my CPU and RAM. I saw the Delta T page on the water cooling stick but its a little overwhelming, I'm sure this has been asked before but I will ask you anyway, is there an oversimplified version of the calculator where I can plug in watts generated by components and see radiator size needed?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
550-600 watts? The 1080 TDP at stock is only 180w. Assuming your CPU is likely also not over 100w at stock, or even close...you aren't dissipating anything near that.

Loop TDP is not total system TDP...it only accounts for TDP of items in the cooling loop.

is there an oversimplified version of the calculator where I can plug in watts generated by components and see radiator size needed?

The calculator I made is about as simple as it gets - it does just this.

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Oh yeah....still. There's no such thing as too much rad. Especially if you're wanting to overclock.

Mikel_4

Respectable
Oct 15, 2016

■ Add PETG bending kit would ease your tubes routing, some of your planned joints will not bare heavy angled fittings.
    ■ There're two ways to enhance cooling capacity; Fans and Flow rate, since you plan high coolant flow loop and 360+120+120mm rad then theoretic 1 gallon per minute (1GPM) flow rate will be fulfilled by VP655, after you assemble your loop find out what fan's speed comfy your hearing.
  • ■ Because this is your 1st build, I'd add UV sensitive dye (mix with coolant) and UV lamp, the idea is to look for tiny sip especially on joints.
    ■ add more fittings, funny thing is a micro meter difference on inner diameter will make you redo insertion process, if you count 20 fittings total add another 4 or five should be OK.
    ■ I imagine will be stellar sighting, I'd hard mode side panel to tempered glass, not so dark tint + parachord cable mod + uniform color/lighting scheme. Do share here when you are done.

Assembling share......

• ■ Usually PETG don't have problem with any compatible ID/OD fittings from any vendors, you can add thermal grease on the tube ends to slip through HD compression fittings, don't force or use soap/baby oil etc.
    ■ Always flush radiator, welding residue will damage pump + clog GPU waterblock.
    ■ Place parts and make sure screwed firmly, my work flow is
    - CPU and GPU block on motherboard,
    - Rad and pump on case,
    - fittings on tube,
    - fittings on block / pump top / rad
    a cup of coffee and your favorite music.
    ■ Googling with keyword "1st water cooling bleed and pump priming" these involve ATX bridge/24 pin out trick > bubbles free loop > leak testing.
    ■ Before 1st run, recheck mounting > screws > fans and pumps power connectors, you can connect to motherboard pump/fan header later make sure your PSU are not plug on to motherboard+VGA+HDD.
    ■ During pump priming/air bleeding try not to loose power, if you find leak, swap the fittings o-ring or the fitting itself.
Heat dumping share.....

• ■ If you use OCable i7 CPU, set pump at full speed and ~ 1000 RPM fan (60% PWM), later you can fine tune as per your need.
    ■ You can add three more fan on your 360mm rad, serves two purpose;
    1. add cooling capacity (push-pull rad config) and compensate internal case air flow.
    2. prolong other fans life span in such you don't need to set them @ their full speed.