Would this drive be a good idea for storage of large files?

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Hello all! So I found this hard drive on amazon, and I'm sitting here debating on buying it or not. It's a 5900 rpm drive, but my main purpose would be to store large files. I normally use portable USB 3.0 hard drives, and thought this drive might be a better option. Would this drive be a good buy for my use? And faster than USB 3.0 still? Sorry, I'm new to storage, this drive likely wouldn't be used to boot an OS or game on.

Drive in question: https://goo.gl/WwTjjY

Also, this would be used on a board that only supports SATA II. Thanks guys!

First off, make sure you box can handle >2TB drives.

Then to the question, I personally don't like the Seagate "Desktop Class." Seagate has other "classes" that offer longer warranties, implying better build quality, those are the ones I like better.

To address your last point, SATA III drives will work okay on a SATA II motherboard, but the drive's performance will be limited to that of SATA II.

As regards Seagate drives in general though, I don't rate them very highly for reliability or durability based on my experience with them. WD is my brand of choice, has been for many years.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Thanks guys! Is SATA II speeds still faster than USB 3.0? (If I decided to go with an external drive). And the reason I considered the Seagate is price, it was a great price for an internal drive, WD seems to be more expensive. I'm strapped on cash at the moment.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

May just be better to hold off then and save huh? That's an option.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've had WD drives get bad sectors. I've had Toshiba drives get bad sectors. I've had Seagate drives get bad sectors. Usually long after any warranty is long gone. So what it boils down to for me is quite simple. Getting my data back and transferred to a new hdd. In this, everyone is behind WD by a long shot. Their recovery software is imho the best and easiest to use. I've been using hdds since the early 80's, my first was just 10Mb. Personally, you'd be better off with 2x2Tb hdds than a single 4Tb, you'll be partitioning separate internal logical drives on the 4Tb anyways. With separate physical drives if one fails totally, you don't loose everything.