Computer glitched out and won't work

Alexanderbentley

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Yesterday I was playing a game on my computer (custom build) and the monitor that my game was on (I have 2) turned maroon and the other monitor was maroon with white lines and the sound glitched out. I tried using system restore to 3 days ago (windows critical update) 7 days ago( Microsoft visual studio uninstall) and about 3 weeks ago (directX install for payday2) and none of them worked, but when I did the 3 weeks ago one, it gave me an error saying the restore point couldn't be found. I've tried going into safe mode, but it won't let me open the msi disk for my graphics drivers, or the update installer. I have tried resetting with my personal files saved, but it won't work and when I go check on it the screen is black. Is there anything I can do without completely resetting my computer? I have a lot of files and games that will take a long time to reinstall. Thanks :)

Solution
Has graphics card done anything like the maroon screens since you had that problem? those white lines make me wonder if its a card problem as that isn't normal

Did you try ubuntu? you might still be able to save some files

Otherwise, if reset refuses to work, the best option is to do a clean install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this helpful guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

if the clean install fails like the others have, you may have a hardware problem & I would get PC looked at by a repair shop.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are the specs of the PC?

wont let you open disk? do you mean PC won't boot from them? probably need to alter some settings in BIOS to boot off USB

try using this and see if PC is working for it - also let you copy info off PC you want to save: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

if you are on latest version of win 10 we can try to fix reset
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its finished, copy/paste this command into same window - needs to be exact
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC cleans system files and fixes them, DISM cleans the image that SFC uses to replace files, and it also fixes the Image that Reset uses to install windows. So if SFC found problems it couldn't fix before, retry it after DISM

If DISM asks about a source file, I can show you that next time.

Alexanderbentley

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

When I was talking about the disk, it was the disk that came with my graphics card, I was trying to reinstall the drivers. I posted this on Microsoft also, and I tried the sfc that both of you all told Me, and when I did it, no problems were found. When I type anything into the search bar/ windows bar nothing pops up. If it is a graphics driver problem, how can I fix that? I can double click the disk but I can't run it. I typed the second command in manually, do I have to copy and paste? It won't let me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You didn't have to copy/paste, it just makes the chances of missing a space smaller. As command won't work if spacing isn't right.

If you had linked the Microsoft post I wouldn't have added SFC/ f I knew they already suggested them. Have they suggested a Clean Boot yet?

The update installer you tried in safe mode, was that the Driver installer from the AMD/Nvidia web site. If you haven't tried downloading drivers yet, might want to try it. Can also try: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html. Have you seen any more weird graphical glitches?

Can you open anything in file explorer? Are you on version 1607 of win 10? right click start, choose run... type winver and press enter, if build is 1607, I wonder if this would fix it: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Alexanderbentley

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10my-computer-glitched-out/2a011a02-06c1-47c0-b608-5734c70f754c?tm=1484514202588 There's the link to the Microsoft page. I just tried doing both the commands, and sfc found nothing. I then tried to reset but keep personal files, and the first part was working fine, but when I came back to check on it, there was a light black screen, showing the monitor was on, so I waited a while and rebooted my computer, and when I got back on after a couple reboots it said windows encountered an error during install, click to restart the install, and then the screen disappeared and I'm left with the same light black screen. I can open files, but I downloaded an msi driver installer update thing and when I tried to run it, I needed administrative access, and it still wouldn't open when I ran as administrator.

Alexanderbentley

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Oh I forgot to mention this, my computer won't load windows. It will load a black screen then I have to restart it a couple times for the blue windows counldnt start correctly screen to load. The only way I can access my computer is through safe mode

Alexanderbentley

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

I've now given up on saving my files, I'm just resetting my computer, it got to installing windows drivers, 0%, then a blue screen that said an error has occurred and some other stuff I couldn't read it, it disappeared quickly, and now my computer shows an asus screen (motherboard) with a spinning circle below it, restarts my computer, then keeps doing that. Any suggestions? I just want to fix my computer. Am I going to have to use boot and nuke?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Has graphics card done anything like the maroon screens since you had that problem? those white lines make me wonder if its a card problem as that isn't normal

Did you try ubuntu? you might still be able to save some files

Otherwise, if reset refuses to work, the best option is to do a clean install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this helpful guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

if the clean install fails like the others have, you may have a hardware problem & I would get PC looked at by a repair shop.

Solution