Will Microsoft ever replace the aged and discarded gadget platform with New Widgets?

Will any type of widget platform be coming soon to Windows 10? Because frankly I'm tired of erasing all the unnecessary, unneeded gadgets that come with 8GadgetPack, and they're not even that attractive anyway. Nowadays, VirusTotal picks up some sneaky spyware in the latest versions! So, DOWNLOADER BEWARE!! Now, I've had it with that stupid program/platform, and I really want something new! But then how will I see what my CPU and GPU is doing like I've been accustomed to glancing over to in the sidebar, thanks to, Add Gadget's "ALL CPU Meter" and "GPU Meter"?

I'll be the first to admit, that gadgets were never the safest form of software a user could install on their PC, but they were very useful tools to help keep quick-glance info right on the desktop.

So, I hope Microsoft does decide on something better that not only takes the place of the Windows 7 gadgets platform, but also supersedes it with modern design, and fine drip-tight security.

Let me know what you guys think: Will Microsoft ever replace the aged and discarded gadget platform with New Widgets?

Tablet View? WTH?? Does it allow you to see both your desktop, and how hard your CPU, and GPU, are working, all simultaneously while viewing more opened windows?* Does it show you how much RAM you have installed, and how much of it you're using?* I didn't think so.

* Rhetorical questions, answers not necessary.

In my opinion there is no need for any of those gadgets in the modern era. Those gadgets served a novel function at one time, but the novelty has worn out and computers and users don't need that kind of frivolous distraction in this day and age. This all IMHO, YMMV.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Gadgets always took up screen space i had better uses for, but now I have 4k I could see the advantage (if they scaled well and weren't too small to read). I can replicate those scanners just by opening HWInfo but normally I don't need to know how far below TMax all my CPU cores are running at. I don't even like icons so gadgets getting in way of my wallpaper never lasted long.

I rhetorically ask AGAIN, do you even know how hard your processor is working right now? If the fans are near silent, some hacker could take your computer for a joyride installing a bitcoin miner (or worst), at your expense, and you'll be completely oblivious to it, and be just as happy as a pig in the sunshine! ;-)

I've just got it as installed on my second screen, no task bar mods

But then you'd take up even more space than the gadget would have by opening an entire window!

Please, believe me when I say, a widget system is worthwhile, not for simple-minded tech-amateurs, looking for something to play with (or not), or wanting their PC to look cool for their friends group-over visits, but instead engineers, Web Developers, designers, etc. and any other user that spends a considerable amount of time WORKING (NOT PLAYING) on their desktop PC's.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

There are much better programs for those and they won't ever be beaten by widgets.

Asking a question is one thing, but constructively following it up with proper and senseful arguments is another. Widgets were never ''for advanced users'' in they first place and the will never be. The argument about them being great for advanced users is just nonsense and I'm not really sure we're you're gathering that info or knowledge from to be honest.

Do yourself a favor and download NZXT CAM, all problems solved permanently.
https://camwebapp.com/

Ok. Thanks!

If they can do that, they can fake the CPU/GPU load indicators. Faking temps is a little less likely, but still not infeasible.

Ah! At last! I found the correct, and most relevant answer to my question: http://gadgetsrevived.com/download-sidebar/

Benefits:

• * Clean (No Viruses, Trojans, Malware, Ransomeware, Adware, Spyware etc.)
    * Simple
    * Efficient
    * Effective
    * Free!

Make sure you keep backup copies of this program, like I did, before any of the above qualities changes!

how do you know that this is clean?

Because, Virus Total told me so! Every even "halfway"-knowledgeable, security-conscience PC technician knows about this site. It runs UFF's (Unidentified Foreign Files) through a battery of test against most well-known antivirus, and anti-malware software. If the file makes it through this [without any warnings], 9 times out of 10 it's clean! :wahoo:

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, a lot of us have heard of VirusTotal (owned by Google)

For your amusement, have a read:
http://www.securityweek.com/virustotal-policy-change-rocks-anti-malware-industry
https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/virustotal-com/
https://www.wired.com/2014/09/how-hackers-use-virustotal/

Virus Total or not...a 3rd party tool to replicate functionality that Microsoft removed specifically because that functionality was dangerous...Does not matter if that thing you install is "OK".
Even if Virus Total gives it a 90% chance of not hosing up your system.

What these widgets serve up is the issue. And why MS closed that backdoor.

But you go right ahead...Widget away!