Internet issues with both wireless and cable

LilJur

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
So in the summer of 2016 I decided to upgrade to Windows 10.
Ever since I've been having problems with my internet connection.
I have a Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 network adapter.
I tried updating the driver through windows, it says it's up to date. I tried to do it manually, it wouldn't let me.

Wireless problems
I have a small studio where I can only work wireless.
At first, there isn't really an issue. I can browse without problems and small files, let's say 200mb or watching a video on youtube can be downloaded without issues.
But the problems start with the heavy stuff. Let's say I want to download a file that's +1gb, stream my favorite serie through netflix or open multiple video on youtube/download multiple files at the same time. For the first minute there won't be an issue. But after some time I'll simply lose my internet connection. To get it back, I have to disconnect and reconnect. It's really annoying.

Cable problems
So I decided to use a cable. The router is in my brothers room next to me so I just grab a 10m cable that goes from the router to my computer.
I can now simply download anything I want without interuptions.
It's just very slow. The download is always capped at 1.1mb/s, while wireless it's 4-5mb/s.

Anyone knows what's going on?
I did some google searching and all I could find is that there is no solution for my issue, seems Windows 10 doesn't support my adapter

Solution
First try another known working ethernet cable: Cat 5e or Cat 6. Even if so rated, a cheaply made and connectorized ethernet cable will slow things up.

Who has admin rights to the router. Could be that there is some QoS setting in place.

Double-check that you have indeed downloaded the correct driver for you network adapter(s). Source should be the manufacturer(s) websites and driver download pages.

Some devices (routers and adapters) may not play well together. Try manual configuration (e.g. speed/duplex) versus "auto negoiate". Or if manual then try auto.

And it does not take much those USB wireless LAN adapters to degrade. Cheaply made. Try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter about - may work...

Ralston18

Titan
First try another known working ethernet cable: Cat 5e or Cat 6. Even if so rated, a cheaply made and connectorized ethernet cable will slow things up.

Who has admin rights to the router. Could be that there is some QoS setting in place.

Double-check that you have indeed downloaded the correct driver for you network adapter(s). Source should be the manufacturer(s) websites and driver download pages.

Some devices (routers and adapters) may not play well together. Try manual configuration (e.g. speed/duplex) versus "auto negoiate". Or if manual then try auto.

And it does not take much those USB wireless LAN adapters to degrade. Cheaply made. Try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter about - may work better higher up versus being stuck in a USB port near the floor.

Overall, though, your network is only going to be as fast as the slowest component. Especially if there is heavy traffic via simultaneous streaming, downloads, etc.. Sort of a "traffic jam" that ends up stopping everythng to a crawl.

Solution