Second monitor suddenly stopped working through displayport cable

kaoruslp

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I have a Asus VG248qe plugged in through a displayport cable as a secondary monitor. My primary is connected through DVI. They were both working perfectly fine yesterday. Today, first time turning on the PC, the secondary monitor didn't display anything. I looked in nvidia control panel -> set up multiple displays. The second monitor is detected, but when I try to tick the box next to it to enable it, it doesn't tick.

So I tried switching the cable to a hdmi to dvi cable. It works.

I tried moving the displayport cable to another displayport port on the gpu. It still doesn't work.

Is the displayport cable the culprit? I had this displayport for less than a week...

It is the certified Accell displayport cable 1.2 : http://a.co/6B97RYD

Solution
From an Amazon Review

Defective product that died within 2 days of use of the cable. Connection started to flicker scanlines and image would go on and off. Tested on a Dell U2715H monitor that had a verified working DP port (tested with an Amphenol DP-to-DP cable which works just fine on the U2715H monitor even after these symptoms appeared with this Accell cable) off a GTX 980Ti Classified (all DP ports verified working). So I can verify that is the cable and not my monitor.

So yeah it could be the cable. Another guy had it last 2 months. He switched to a Monoprice cable and stated it felt like a higher quality cable......

I'm not using my DP cable, it came with my monitor so I can't say which is the best. The only thing Ive...

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
From an Amazon Review

Defective product that died within 2 days of use of the cable. Connection started to flicker scanlines and image would go on and off. Tested on a Dell U2715H monitor that had a verified working DP port (tested with an Amphenol DP-to-DP cable which works just fine on the U2715H monitor even after these symptoms appeared with this Accell cable) off a GTX 980Ti Classified (all DP ports verified working). So I can verify that is the cable and not my monitor.

So yeah it could be the cable. Another guy had it last 2 months. He switched to a Monoprice cable and stated it felt like a higher quality cable......

I'm not using my DP cable, it came with my monitor so I can't say which is the best. The only thing Ive bought from monoprice are some networking tools(cable tester) and RJ45 couplers, which have worked fine. Can't speak to their overall quality though.

Solution