Upgrading From Windows Vista, Need Guidance

BlaineB

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
My Father and I both have older 2010-era Toshiba laptops. They're somewhat outdated but they do everything that we need them to do, which is primarily web browsing, listening to the radio, watching DVDs, and typing emails. We both have desktop computers running Windows 10 which are our primary computing platforms which work great. Both of us really enjoy using Windows 10. Our desktop computers of prior days all used Windows XP, so we pretty much skipped Windows 7 and Windows 8 in the process and went straight to new equipment with Windows 10.

However, since our laptops aren't being used for anything extreme, there really isn't a huge demand to upgrade this hardware quite yet.

As the end of support for Vista looms in just a few months, and how Google Chrome has not been releasing any new updates for Windows Vista for the past few years, I have begun to contemplate the best way to upgrade these systems to a more modern operating system.

The first thought I had was to upgrade both of our laptops to Windows 7, if I was lucky enough to find the operating system in brand new unopened condition. I see plenty of sketchy Windows 7 kits and individual keys being sold on Amazon and eBay, but from my research it seems as if these may eventually be a complete waste of money and time, even if they do cost less than $10 a piece.....

I have also read that Windows 10 is much less of a resource hog compared to Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1. Is this true? Does that mean Windows 10 would work on our old 2010-era laptops? I remember about 10 years ago, my Father had a Gateway laptop that originally came with Windows Millennium Edition. I upgrade it to Windows XP, but the system ran so slowly, that I had to downgrade and then installed Windows 2000 Professional instead, which worked like a charm and was light years ahead of Windows ME. I just won't want to repeat this problem with bogging down our laptops with an operating system that wasn't designed for our older hardware again!

I can't exactly tell you the specs of my Father's laptop, as it isn't here in front of me currently. His is slightly newer than mine and is quite a bit more powerful. I also think that it is running the 64 bit edition of Windows Vista.

All that I can currently confirm with you is that my laptop possesses the following specs:

Windows Vista 32 bit edition SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2 ghz processor
3 gb RAM
300 gb hard drive

As I said, my Father's laptop contains specs that are definitely more powerful than mine. More RAM, more processing power, higher capacity hard drive, etc.

I would appreciate YOUR guidance for upgrading the operating system for these laptops. Thanks in advance!

BlaineB

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014

What OS were you using prior to Windows 10 on your Toshiba?

I wouldn't say that my current laptop (A305-S6905) running Vista is slow, per se. Not slow in terms of watching streaming videos or browsing the web. Game playing? Don't even think about it, but that's not what I aim to do. My desktop is the "workhorse" and my laptop is only a mobile business necessity. I'll probably upgrade to a newer laptop in the future but currently I would rather not spend the cash.

If your laptop runs Windows 10, I'm sure that my Father's would too, considering his was more powerful to begin with. I'll suggest this to him.

As for myself........do you know any sources that have cheaper copies of Windows 7? I looked around online and the few I could find were over $130. If I'm going to spend that much on 7 why not just aim for 10? I assumed 7 would be quite discounted at this time, but I guess not since the supply is scarce as heck!

USAFRet

Titan
I believe it started life with Win 7. Was my sons device when he first went off to college.
Then 8/8.1...and then was my test box for the Win 10 Tech preview, dualbooting with Win 7 or 8.
Now Win 10 only.

No real performance difference between the Win versions.

For buying Windows 7? Just go ahead and get Win 10 for it.
You mostly can't find Win 7 Home anymore, just Pro for about $140.
Win 10 retails at ~$90, and it will run just fine.

BlaineB

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. As you said, 7 Pro is quite pricy in comparison to 10. I contacted a local computer shop and they are selling 7 Home Premium for $129 and 7 Pro for $199. I guess I'll try 10, I hope the system runs just about as it does now.

I'll post up the specs of my Dad's Toshiba the next time I go by there to take a gander at it!

PS,

Do you have any good sources for finding Windows 10 around $99 each?

USAFRet

Titan

Amazon - $91
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-System-Builder/dp/B00ZSI7Y3U

Newegg - $100
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892

BlaineB

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
Thanks. Here are the official system requirements for Windows 10 from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#system-specifications.

I'm surprised that they're so low to be quite honest!

PS, for link you sent me on Amazon, that says Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I believe my Father's Toshiba is running the 64 bit version of Windows Vista, but I definitely know that my Toshiba is only running the 32 bit version of Windows Vista.

Will that pose a problem? I know that our desktops these days are able to operate in both 32 bit and 64 bit environments, but these processors are much newer. And the Toshiba's are not running AMD processors either!

USAFRet

Titan

Currently having the 32bit Vista is not the issue. The processor and the motherboard are what counts.
And pretty much any CPU in the last 10 years is 64bit capable.

Endre555

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Yes, Win 10, 8 or 7 would be much faster than Vista. But first check your laptop if it has drivers for the Win version you want. If yes, I would recommend an upgrade for Windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan

Unless the laptop has specific hardware, like maybe a touchscreen, probably no additional drivers are needed.

My 2009 era Toshiba needed none beyond what Win 10 installed by itself.
Install and off you go.

BlaineB

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
Thanks guys, I am about to order two copies of Windows 10 from Amazon. I talked it over with my Father and he's in on the upgrade too! I'll let you know how it goes once everything is finalized.

BlaineB

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
Windows 10 64 bit Home is installed on both Toshiba laptops and now they're better than ever. Thanks for kicking me over the edge and helping me to decide to do this! Many thanks!