JBL 3 Ohm car speakers?

ljcool_17

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
Looked at some JBL speakers and they're rated at 3 ohm? How do you hook these up to an amp? Almost all amps are rated for 4-2 ohm. If a resistor is needed, what kind should I get?

Solution
Well you could potentially place too much load on the amp.

You can look at OHMs which is resistance as a pipe. The lower the ohms, the larger the "pipe" for current to travel through.

If you think of the AMP as a pump, it will have to work harder to output the same current on the larger pipe.

It isn't inherently bad, but could potentially cause the amp to over exert itself over time.

If your amp is rated for 2-4 ohm speakers, a 3 ohm is perfect.
Well you could potentially place too much load on the amp.

You can look at OHMs which is resistance as a pipe. The lower the ohms, the larger the "pipe" for current to travel through.

If you think of the AMP as a pump, it will have to work harder to output the same current on the larger pipe.

It isn't inherently bad, but could potentially cause the amp to over exert itself over time.

If your amp is rated for 2-4 ohm speakers, a 3 ohm is perfect.

Solution
That is the long and short of it yes.

Man i had such a freaking headache trying to figure out car audio when i did my set up. Those audiophiles over complicate the hell out of it.

BUT, now i finally have a vintage system up and running.... dual 1000W amps powering a component set of 5.25" speakers with 2" tweeters, and a separate pair of 10" subwoofers.

It all pretty much works together as long as you don't go way outside the bounds with your parts.

Hello...Yes... 2-4 ohms is a Spec Range, 3 ohms fits right in there B ) you will be fine.

Typically car stereo amps are 'Low voltage high current" amplifiers because of their car battery power supply, and thus the speakers used with these systems will be constructed will Low resistance/Ohm coils. This is also why the Larger size of the Wires (copper) used to these speakers can make a difference.

There are also "High voltage low current" amplifiers and you would use Higher resistance/Ohm speakers with these systems. Also you can use smaller wires (less copper) for this type of system. A building public address system (PA) will use this type of Amp to reduce costs of remote and long cable/wire runs.

ljcool_17

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
I see. It kinda gave me a headache after looking at amps and all they show are ratings for 2 and 4 ohms then here comes JBL with it's odd 3 ohm speakers. Even their amps don't show 3 ohm ratings. Thanks for the answer!