turboing a gt86

Jacob Bowerman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
hello, im sorry if this is a stupid question as im not a car guy.
i drive a gt86 and would love a bit more of a kick. so im considering getting a turbo for it. im guessing that getting a kit would be alot cheaper than a mechanic doing all the piping. i was looking at the kit below. would i have any issues with the gearbox or anything? and is there a reason why this kit is about $1000-2000 cheaper than other kits on ebay that also claim to add on 100 or so hp
would it be worth this or would it be worth it to save more money to get an aftermarket ECU and a bigger turbo etc..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-BRZ-Toyota-FT86-Toyota-86-Complete-Billet-Wheel-Bolt-On-Turbo-Kit-/112199785801?hash=item1a1fa0dd49:g:BZYAAOSw9r1WAifN

Solution
Even if that kit is made up of quality components, it is a low end kit and does not use a reputable turbo charger. (a good unit will be 1500-2500 USD by itself.)

You would need to add on more money for a fuel system upgrade and programming/tuning.

for me I am going to have to translate this to USD which is around 2800. It's just not a good purchase. Buy once, cry once.. then it's over.

keep looking around, and join a brz/subaru forum to see what they are having success using.

Personally, i would not go with a Turbocharger setup, i would go with a Vortech set up. it's going to have a more linear powerband using the v3 powerhead. There is no oil line to run (uses an internal oil system) Just my .002

go to the car specific...

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
Even if that kit is made up of quality components, it is a low end kit and does not use a reputable turbo charger. (a good unit will be 1500-2500 USD by itself.)

You would need to add on more money for a fuel system upgrade and programming/tuning.

for me I am going to have to translate this to USD which is around 2800. It's just not a good purchase. Buy once, cry once.. then it's over.

keep looking around, and join a brz/subaru forum to see what they are having success using.

Personally, i would not go with a Turbocharger setup, i would go with a Vortech set up. it's going to have a more linear powerband using the v3 powerhead. There is no oil line to run (uses an internal oil system) Just my .002

go to the car specific forums, you will learn a lot more there, and they might have a used parts section.

Solution

Jacob Bowerman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

hey, thanks a lot for your advice. ive definitely taken it into consideration. Ive looked on the vortech website and the supercharger kit they have will make the 86 294hp with a $6192(not sure if aud or usb) price tag. thank you for your reply.