Should I wait for new G-Sync HDR monitors or buy 1440p IPS now?

JackFinn

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Been looking at Asus HB217XU and Asus Rog monitors recently, with strong interest to buy.

Both are IPS, 144HZ 1440p monitors which exactly what I'm after, even though they still cost an absolute premium.

However, Nvidia have just broke the news about their new G-sync HDR monitors coming out around March (I think, anway).

My question is this; Should I spend the £600 on the monitor I want just now, or wait for the release of the new HDR monitors? Will these new monitors bring the price of other monitors down significantly? Will they be around the £600-700 price range? Basically, what should I do?

I'm playing on a pretty average 1080p TV and I'm very keen to get upgraded as soon as possible since I'm rocking a gtx 1070 and have a 1080 upgrade on the way (got it on a "too hard to pass up" sale.)

So time is a factor for me, but I'm not a child so I can hold off if it makes an appreciable difference.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Solution
He meant that HDR is not a maginal feature. Comparing playing his PS4 Pro (which has HDR), and his GTX 1080 (which also does, but the content itself might not, since you need all of HDMI 2.0a on both sides, Panel itself supporting HDR and content supporting HDR), the difference between the two is day and night.

And I agree with him, I would, at least, wait until the first HDR high-refresh rate monitor gets released before making that decision, it's just that even the first such monitor is going to be Q4 of this year (PG27UQ)

For 600 or below, you might end up looking for TV's, as I expect those are the types of displays with true HDR will drop in price first, computer monitors will only fall relatively slowly.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
esco_sid, I didn't understand yopur response HDR or lower resolution is only a marginable improvement? also anyone know of any estimates or anything as to when a HDR monitor for 600 or below will be on the market?

chenw

Honorable
He meant that HDR is not a maginal feature. Comparing playing his PS4 Pro (which has HDR), and his GTX 1080 (which also does, but the content itself might not, since you need all of HDMI 2.0a on both sides, Panel itself supporting HDR and content supporting HDR), the difference between the two is day and night.

And I agree with him, I would, at least, wait until the first HDR high-refresh rate monitor gets released before making that decision, it's just that even the first such monitor is going to be Q4 of this year (PG27UQ)

For 600 or below, you might end up looking for TV's, as I expect those are the types of displays with true HDR will drop in price first, computer monitors will only fall relatively slowly.

Solution

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

I must be a little off cause that still dosnt make since actualy makes more confusing

chenw

Honorable
The HDR monitor he is talking about is PG27UQ, which won't be available until Q3 or Q4, and is pricey.

FreeSync monitors is a bit hard to list, because they are very common, chances are, if the monitor was released within the past year or so, and don't have G-Sync, it probably has FreeSync. But FreeSync currently only works with AMD GPUs.

chenw

Honorable

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-g-sync-monitors/

First result from "List of G-Sync monitors"

It's notably missing PG258Q, which is a 24.5" 1080p TN with 240Hz.

G-Sync HDR list is pretty short: there isn't any available. PG27UQ is literally the first such monitor know to yet hit the market, and Acer also has one in the works as well IIRC, but G-Sync HDR monitors currently do not exist,