144hz monitor worth it?

WalmartSecurity

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Would it be worth buying a 144hz monitor if I just plan to pair it with a gtx 1050 ti? Any replies and explanations would be lovely.

Solution
One nice thing about 144hz monitors is that you no longer need V-sync, and it makes games feel more responsive as a result. Tearing is hard to notice at that rate, so there is no need to have super high FPS for a 144hz monitor to be useful. I guess the question is whether you want to spend the money towards a monitor, or another component of your system
One nice thing about 144hz monitors is that you no longer need V-sync, and it makes games feel more responsive as a result. Tearing is hard to notice at that rate, so there is no need to have super high FPS for a 144hz monitor to be useful. I guess the question is whether you want to spend the money towards a monitor, or another component of your system

Solution

Pkai92

Respectable
Oct 20, 2016
If you play FPS games then it is worth it. 144 Hz monitor will let you have a smoother game play. If your PC specs can let you have more than 60 FPS, then it is worth it imo. It is good for competitive games. If you are confused between upgrading your monitor or getting another hardware part for your system, then please tell your full PC specs.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

To me, screen tearing at 144hz is still a problem. I would highly recommend OP get a FreeSync monitor and a faster graphics card if they're going 144hz.

Even if you aren't the type who doesn't see it at all (most people seem to not), you have to admit, it's about 1/3 the problem it normally is.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

Are you sure about that? Why are there so many G-SYNC monitors that have at least 144hz if most can't see the problem that G-SYNC is meant to fix?

I agree that it's not nearly as bad at 144hz than at 60hz, but it's still there. It's not game-breaking but it's visible. It's just that I don't want to play a game that has excellent graphics only to have tearing ruin it.

That's what many claim. I can see it, but it's so much less than at 60hz, I doesn't bother me at all. Others swear they don't exist. That said, G-sync will be better, and after getting used to it, I'm sure going without it will make it more noticeable, but even a lot of G-sync owners swear it wasn't worth it.

Going from 60hz to 144hz is at least as big a deal as going from 144hz to G-sync, but the cost different for the last part is about $200 more.

UnspokenWhale

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

I think it's worth the cost but FreeSync is undoubtedly a better deal if you have an AMD card and is definitely worth getting if you're looking for a new gaming monitor.