IPS or TFT LCD

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
I had asked previously about 27" 1440p monitors and what would be a good $300 IPS panel to buy. This was the result: BenQ GW2765HT

Now I am wondering if I even need to go as far as getting an IPS panel or if something like TFT LCD would work as well or better. I was looking around and came across this one:
AOC Q2778Vqe

I don't know much about AOC but the reviews are all pretty good. I like the fact that it is $75 cheaper but I don't know much about the current monitor tech so that is why I am asking here.
Should I stick with the BenQ IPS panel or is a TFT LCD panel a good display?

I don't want to go TN as I have those already and I want something a bit more vibrant and color rich.

Solution
It's technically a WVA+ panel, which puts it in the VA panel family. VA is kinda similar to IPS (some tradeoffs here and there).

It looks pretty interesting, but I can't find any published reviews.
Well, that IPS panel from BenQ is still a TFT LCD.

IPS and TN are subtypes of TFT LCD displays. IPS is a newer version that offers better color accuracy and viewing angles than TN, but the pixels typically switch more slowly.

$330 seems a bit pricey for a 1440p 60Hz monitor, even if it is IPS. You can get 4K IPS monitors for about the same price, but of course 4K can be tough for your PC to run games at.

I can't comment on the quality of the monitors you're looking at, as I'm not familiar with them. However, just as a clarification, "TFT LCD" is just a generic term for a flat-panel monitor, whereas IPS/MVA/PVA/TN are the common types of panel (the AOC is a TN panel, btw).

Well, there are other flat-panel display types than TFT LCD. The various types of OLED displays, for example.

But it is true that TFT LCD is by far the most common for computer monitors, and IPS, TN etc. are subtypes of TFT LCD.

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Oh man, there is so much I don't know about monitors anymore.
Any recommendations for a good 27" monitor that will produce good rich color, have little to no ghosting and be at least 1440p and be around $300?

Also my computer specs are as follows:

AMD FX-8370
XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB
16GB DDR3-2133
ASUS 970 Pro Gaming Aura

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

My reasoning for going IPS is I have heard the colors are much better than a TN panel. How much better I guess would be the question. If it is marginal than maybe I shouldn't worry about it as much as I am.
The viewing angle isn't really a concern for me as I am usually sitting directly in front of my screen. The only other concern would be ghosting and that I don't know much about as I never worried about it before. TN panels have a higher response time and are cheaper so I could get one with say 144mhz and 1ms response time for a lot less than an IPS with the same. I don't know if I can even get an IPS panel with less than 4ms response time.

This use to be so much simpler when everything was CRT. :)

Yeah, and response times were in microseconds rather than milliseconds. :D

There are some other difficulties in comparing monitors now. The official pixel response time they give you is basically PR nonsense. There's no standard test methodology, and they cherrypick a best-case scenario rather than how the monitor typically performs.

Color accuracy is something they usually don't even put numbers on. Reviews can show you how wide a gamut monitors cover, and how well they're calibrated etc. but it takes a lot of work to dig up the info on all the monitors you might be interested in.

And of course, not all TN panels are equally bad with colors, and now all IPS monitors are equally slow with response time. So even picking by panel type can be misleading.

Here's a review of the BenQ monitor. A bit of input lag and a bit of ghosting... but ultimately not anything major. Considering your RX 480 would struggle with a 4K screen, I guess it's still a better choice than the Samsung 4K. Just unfortunate that you don't get Freesync support.

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

So much to figure out and decide on. I had such an easier time choosing computer parts. I think I might go to the local BestBuy and head to their gaming section and see what they have for monitors. Not to purchase but to see if they have some different technologies that I can compare.
Also, I just looked up FreeSync and crap I want that now. :D Might have to just wait to see what my bonus check looks like and decide then. Was going off a budget of $300 because it may not be much more than that but could be double that. Only three more days. :)

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Doing some more research and looking online, since I haven't been to the store yet, I found the following:

HP Omen

I have no idea what the display type is but it is 1440p, 75Hz, 5ms response and it has FreeSync. Reviews are mixed but has an overall 4 egg rating on NewEgg and 4 star on Amazon. Has anyone used this or seen it or have any other info about if it is a good screen or not?

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

I couldn't find much online about it either but most of the reviews I have read seem to say good things, for the most part, and with the addition of it having FreeSync and it being closely related to IPS, I may grab it. I can always return it if I am hugely disappointed.

Bryan_JD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Final update for this thread. I ended up going with the HP Omen 32 and have had it for about a week and it is pretty phenomenal. FreeSync is amazing and the quality of this screen is great. No dead pixels, great color, good viewing angle and was the right price. I don't normally like HP but they have done really well with this screen. Thanks for all the help and advice.

TRENDING THREADS