Failed Thermaltake 750W toughpower gold PS warranty denial

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
The Thermaltake PS in the subject line has a 5 year warranty. I put a brand new in a sealed box unit in a new build 7 months ago. It failed after six months of use... kept causing my system to reboot as often as every 90 seconds.

I just found out from Thermaltake that the one I have will not be warrantied because it was purchase from a computer firm on Ebay.

Fortunately I contacted the seller and they said they would provide a replacement. I don't believe this should be the responsibility of the seller, it should be the responsibility of the manufacturer. Am I incorrect in this belief.

Thermaltake sent me an email stating they would not warranty any item purchased from Ebay and Amazon. I can attach a copy if needed.

This poses a question for me and probably others... should we be buying Thermaltake, I believe they are a sub division of Sony, products via these outlets.

I've never had any problems getting anything else covered by other manufacturers warranties before... I've returned car parts, computer parts and other items for warranty service without problems.

Has anyone one else run into this problem?

Ken

D

Deleted member 362816

Depends on the eBay seller some larger outfits are authorized re-sellers and some are not. In terms of a computer shop for the builds I do I register the products in my name for warranty issues unless they advise otherwise.

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
One replyer says I wasn't the first owner; which is correct. But when you get right down to it, none of us that purchase from any dealer, whether they be big or small, they are the first owner, and possibly that might not be true either, the first owner is usually the distributor, not the actual vendor.

cia24, I suspect you hit it correctly... this small computer firm had not been authorized to be their seller.

But now this has happened, I am concerned that newegg and others like them could selectively do the same thing and most times customers would take it as gospel. I know this is one way they could all fatten their bottom lines, until the word got out by the very means I'm using to warn people.

I was contacted by the small computer shop I purchased from in CA yesterday asking me to send it back to them and they will replace it for me. I'm hoping it will be with something other than a Thermaltake after this experience.

Not to beat a dead horse, I'm glad SR-71 made his statement because I did my research and found no negatives on them. Everywhere I looked for information appeared to make SONY their parent and knowing SONY I thought they would have a superior product; which was proven wrong in this case. It is a definite fact I will no longer purchase their products no matter the vendor.

SR-71 I like your new picture in motion, but I still think that TF-30-P414 jet hammer was the best.

Great day to everyone and thanks for making me wizer.

Ken (the ancient buzzard)