Please help! Extremely slow file transfer over Ethernet cable!

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Please help - no idea what's wrong here.
I want to transfer files from 1 pc to another, both running windows 10. But the transfer rates are super slow. Right now its going at 350kbps but sometimes drops to 0 for a while, then 20kbps etc.

I can see the 2 computers on the home network but PC2 won't let me access the HDD of PC1, saying I don't have permission, despite drive sharing on. PC1 can see and access HDD on PC2 though.

Shouldn't the crossover cable be capable of transfers rated in gbps?

If I go to task manager / performance on PC1 it says throughput of 100kbps then changed to 11mbps. But even 100mbs of data took like 30min to transfer.

PC2 says throughput is showing anything between 100kbps and 11mbps during a transfer. If no transfer it was saying 1gbps

PC1 is old system, with asus M4N68T-M motherboard, and says network adapter is Nvidia nForce networking controller.
It also shows a bunch of WAN miniport entries that weren't there before.
PC1 created the homegroup

PC2 is old system, with asus Z270-AR motherboard, and says network adapter is Intel (R) Ethernet connection (2) I219-V

I turned off firewall on both computers.

So both boards have gigabit LAN ports, so no problem there. Are both PCs connected at gigabit speed?
What kind of files are you transferring? Are they large or small?
If you are transferring 1000s of small files, then yes, you will see those kinds of transfer rates. Small files (those of KB size) always transfer much slower than large files (those of MB size or larger).
Also, the hard disk serving up the data also needs to be taken into consideration. Is it old? Fragmented/Slightly corrupt file system? Faulty perhaps?
Lastly, there is your cable to consider, though if the cable was faulty, you'd not get any connection at all.

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016

For file transfers, its will be some big ones, and some small ones, not always at the same time.

The source HDD is old, WD20EARS-00MVWB0 caviar green drive i'm pretty sure.
Its still reading/writting ok on my old system as far as I can tell, so no indiction to me that it is faulty. However, I must mention that my first course of action was to simple install this drive temporarily into my new system. However it only ever showed up as a drive called NTFS and wouldn't allow me access in the new system. I thought that problem might have been permissions related but couldn't get it to work.

Cable was fine as far as I can tell. I also tried a normal ethernet cable PC-PC and same result. However I did get some improvement when I put a router in between, so, PC-router-PC and got transfer rates of 10-11mbps. While better than the 0-350kbps I was getting before, it doesn't even beat the transfer rates I can get using an external HDD over USB1, so... I'll have to suffer through that I suppose.

Thanks for your suggestions.

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016

I don't beleive so... at least I've never heard of or seen this on my system before...
I did have Avast firewall turned off as part of my attempts, and windows firewall as well of course. Didn't make a difference.