My motherboard won't overclock my RAM

techytora

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Okay I asked this before and nobody replied but maybe I posted in the wrong section so here goes. I bought a 16GB (2X8GB) pair of the Avexir Raiden series green tesla memory because not only does it match my Razer build but they don't sacrifice performance or at least aren't supposed to. The sticks are the 3000mhz version so I can overclock the ram to 3000 and do some BCLK on my i-3 6100. I go into the EVGA bios menu, go to memory and select xmp profile 1 setting it to 3000 and 1.35v like it says on the box is the recommended limit. I go to save and exit then it just hits me with the code 4C which is supposed to be a reserved code to do with memory. They're brand new out of the box and I know it's probably on my end I just don't know what to do to fix it that was the whole reason I invested in memory upgrade was for some BCLK. I flashed my bios even to the most recent update that supports all the new modules and still no fix. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

My build
Motherboard - EVGA z170 FTW
CPU - intel I-3 6100k dual core (it's all I need for gaming)
Cooler Cryorig H7
Memory - 2 8GB Avexir Raiden series green tesla meant to run at 1.35v/3000mhz
Storage - Western Digital Blue 1TB
GPU - Gigabyte geforce gtx 1060 g1 Gaming edition
Fans - 5 pack of Apevia 312L-DGN green LED fans high static pressure (I'm watercooling eventually)
Case Deepcool Dukase v2

G

It's because you're using an Core i3 as a processor which does NOT allow memory over 2133 unless you're willing to use BCLK overclocking. So basically XMP Profiles won't work. I know this because I have a EVGA Stinger Z170 Motherboard and I ran into the same issue until I was made aware of the fact that i3's (Skylake) won't overclock through Multipliers ((i5 and i7) will. I bought an i5 6600K instead.

Now if you're disappointed I don't blame you but you should know that you can overclock the HELL out of your processor through BCLK ( http://www.techspot.com/review/1108-intel-locked-skylake-cpu-bclk-overclocking/ ) The downside is that I believe your Power Saving States disappear (Your CPU won't properly ramp down it's frequencies when doing nothing). So yeah.

techytora

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

Thank you. I'll give the bclk idea a go. I'm only using this processor as a temp fill in and I only really game on this computer when I use it before or after work. I figured it was something along those lines with the codes the board was throwing at me. I appreciate your insight.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

That is false information.
Stock speed using 3000 memory.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/
What I said was 100%accurate.