Replaced hhd with ssd now won't boot

Ozarkman

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
Just installed a new Samsung ssd in my dell 3650 desktop. Instead of cloning the drive I wanted to do a fresh install of Debian linux. Booted to the live DVD and went through the install. When it came time to reboot I get the prompt ....checking media presence......
Media present ....
Start pxe over ipv4 then ipv6.
Then boots to a Dell dionostic the reports no problems.

I have checked and the bios sees the hard drive but won't boot to it. I have cleared the cmos and nothing helps. Any idea what I have done wrong.

schwartzasher

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I had the same issue. What I did was I plugged my old hard drive into a usb port via sata connector and then ran system recovery. I clicked restore laptop and it reset my SSD to the factory defaults of the old HDD. the old hard drive was not effected at all so you will be fine there but some times the hard drive cloner that comes with the ssd doesnt work correctly and I would reccomend doing this instead of cloning the hard drive. You can plug the hard drive into an old computer or this one via the usb to sata connector and then copy down every program you need to reinstall. Then once everything is up and running where it was reset correctly, download the programs you need and then transfer the files over or just use the old hdd as storage for those files and use it as an external hd