Printing to LPT1 from FoxPro for DOS Win 10 32-bit

zeoj

Honorable
May 22, 2014
On a new Win 10 32-bit machine, I can print to LPT1. But once in FPD 2.6, I get "Printer Not Ready."

In the past, I've gotten FoxPro for DOS printing to work for Windows 7 after issuing in the Command window :
NET USE LPT1: <Printer Network Name>

I have also done it by checking off LPT1 on the Printer Properties Ports tab for a new (separate iteration/definition from the printer name used by Windows) printer.

Now with Win 10, I'm able to print from a Command window to LPT1 by issuing:
copy autoexec.bat lpt1
but can't print from Fox.

(I have sometimes used vDOS/DOSPrinter, but the print rendering isn't great.)

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Why don't you try launching Foxpro.exe in a batch file with the copy autoexec.bat lpt1 as the first in the batch file. or I remember back to my Foxpro programming days where I could issue a command thru Foxpro to Novell to switch printers if the user wanted to print to another Printer. You should be able to do something similar I just can't remember how what command it was to talk to the OS. If you can do it from inside program you can do it thru Foxpro command prompt.

zeoj

Honorable
May 22, 2014
Thanks ss202sl. I'll take a look at DosPrn. For now, I'm hoping for a Windows/SBS solution. I use lots of printer control codes and I expect they'd get lost as they do in DOSPrinter.

Thanks orlbuckeye. Makes sense to break down the process to see where it's failing as you suggest. Then, I'd worry about getting the legacy reports to work after that.

Thank you.