Trying to hook up my old monitor to my motherboard via VGA, screen remains black.

CobaltImpurity

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
So I have a normal asus vg248qe plugged into my 750ti via HDMI and I wanted to get my second monitor, which is ancient (hyundai l70n) plugged in for a dual monitor setup. Problem is my 750ti doesn't have a VGA adapter and that's what the l70n uses.

When the monitor is getting power and isn't plugged into anything it works just fine and says that there is no signal. When I plug it into the motherboards VGA port the screen goes black. Tried detecting for another display in Windows 10 display settings but nothing showed up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just a quick question, if I do end up getting the l70n to work, since it's plugged into the motherboard does that mean my processors integrated graphics will be the thing outputting the display? If so can I change that so the gpu is outputting to both monitors?

Solution
You cant use onboard and dicreet graphics at the same time, its one or the other. If you have a GPU installed it will only use the GPU. You have to plug the second monitor into the GPU for it to work. For that you will need a DVI to VGA adapter/cable

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
You cant use onboard and dicreet graphics at the same time, its one or the other. If you have a GPU installed it will only use the GPU. You have to plug the second monitor into the GPU for it to work. For that you will need a DVI to VGA adapter/cable

Solution