Can a monitor damage my GPU?

Davy_2

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
A few months ago I bought a Benq 2765 Monitor to move to 2560x1440. Within a few hours the monitor had a 1 to 2 second black screen. This happened a few times over the next few weeks then suddenly my pc would just shutdown and reboot. If I played in 2k it would crash but in 1080p it ran in uplay but steam games would crash it.

I returned the system to the store under warranty, they said my GTX 980 ti was faulty and no replacement could be sourced so I paid £60 extra and they sent my pc back with a gtx 1070, which was tested thoroughly before being despatched. After 2 days, it refused to boot up until I pressed the start button repeatedly (The lights on the tower, mobo and GPU all lit up but no signal to the monitor) this is usually after a long time being switched off. the last time it took several presses of the power button to get it to start and when it did, I got a 1 to 2 second black screen... unless I just happen to have a gpu that was new with the same fault, could my monitor (or cable) be causing the problem?

N..B. I switched power management to "prefer maximum performance" as I thought it might be causing the boot problem. I have pushed every connection and component in the pc to make sure there are no loose connections but should I unplug every cable and take out the gpu and then reseat it and the cables again?

My pc specs
Asus z170 maximus ranger viii
16 GB corsair vengeance ddr4 @3k
m.2 drive (primary)
3t HDD secondary
gtx 1070 (Palit super jetstream)
win 10
i7 6700k (came overclocked but constant random failed boots made me delete the profile and return it to standard after 2 months... a year ago)

I change the display port cable and I'm using a HDMI cable now and so far... no problems... but I've only booted up twice today.... but no momentary black screens... I can only assume that either the monitors display port or the cable was possibly short circuiting and damaged the original gpu and so even when I switched cables with that gpu, the damage was already done.... and this time I found the answer before it did enough damage... so I guess I answered my own question... YES a monitor CAN damage a gpu

Solution
I changed the display port cable and I'm using a HDMI cable now and so far... no problems... but I've only booted up twice today.... but no momentary black screens... I can only assume that either the monitors display port or the cable was possibly short circuiting and damaged the original gpu and so even when I switched cables with that gpu, the damage was already done.... and this time I found the answer before it did enough damage... so I guess I answered my own question... YES a monitor CAN damage a gpu

Davy_2

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
I changed the display port cable and I'm using a HDMI cable now and so far... no problems... but I've only booted up twice today.... but no momentary black screens... I can only assume that either the monitors display port or the cable was possibly short circuiting and damaged the original gpu and so even when I switched cables with that gpu, the damage was already done.... and this time I found the answer before it did enough damage... so I guess I answered my own question... YES a monitor CAN damage a gpu

Solution