What to upgrade and why - Need advice on Price to performance

MakashiGames

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
So,

I currently have this card and have it hooked up to a 43" Samsung LED TV in my front room. I'm not particularly precious about peak FPS as I don't really do any PvP gaming, other than Rocket League.

I am about to move and will need to get a monitor as the TV will be dedicated to the front room and I will finally have room for a desk!

I am not sure which of the following is the best option:

• - Just buy a cheap monitor for now and then upgrade the GFX card when I can (GTX 1080 mid term)

- Buy a G Sync monitor now as this will get more out of my GTX 770 (No GPU Upgrade)

- Buy a cheap monitor and a GTX 1060/wait a bit 1070

In terms of cost, I don't really want to spend more than approx £350 in total. I need a monitor at the end of this process as otherwise I will have no screen when I move :(

Any assistance or advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Makashi

EDIT:
My full system specs are:
Intel i5 4670K OC'd to 4.4GHz
16GB HyperX Fury DDR3 @ 1866
Asus Z87 Pro
Gigabyte GTX770 Windforce 4GB
750W Gold+ Corsair Builder PSU
512GB Samsung EVO
3TB WD Green

The GTX 770 if working fine is more than enough for games like Rocket League. I'd get a good 144hz or a IPS monitor and then get a 1070, but you did not list the rest of your system specs, you may need a better CPU and power supply to match a faster video card. For myself, I'd rather get better colors and viewing angle of an IPS screen vs the faster refresh rate of a gaming TN screen. I've gamed on monitors with like a 20ms response and did not see any issues really. A modern IPS screen would have an under 10ms response time.

MakashiGames

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I have added my system specs to the initial question - I don't believe there are any glaringly obvious bottlenecks in my rig as it stands. My main concern is that a monitor with higher pixel density and refresh rate will total my GPU!

Makashi

Nothing on the monitor will do any damage to the video card, the worse thing that will happen is that if you get a 1440 resolution one the games will run slower than on 1080. Your CPU can handle a faster video card easily. You can use your 770 at even 1440 resolutions for less demanding games or newer games on lower quality.

phunny12000

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
i might get a lot of abuse for this,but if youre getting a new home why dont you get an lg hdtv,i use mine as my monitor too,nd if you check the specs a lot are ips,so 2 birds with one stone,
if you manage to get a cheap or refurb 3d one theyre the only ones that do dual play,so you can play pvp,on the same screen but with a full image each,one player with 2 left lenses nd one with 2 right,
bit of a mad solution but thats what i would do !