Did my PSU kill my 290X Lightning?

Nutkins

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
It's a long story but I'll try to keep it short and hopefully you'll all understand my gibberish. This has to do with my video card, the R9 290X Lightning from MSI.

This all started about 4 weeks ago, when I picked up BF1 and noticed that this was happening https://imgur.com/QplUErV - followed by black screening. I noticed that underclocking by ~20% solved the issue, although just in BF1, as I later found out in Titanfall 2 it would black screen regardless.

Fast forward: I filed a direct RMA with MSI. Sent it off and within a day or two MSI shipped a replacement card back to me, a refurb, which I've had in my possession since the 13th.

Card has been great up until today, no problems what so ever. Only until today, after I experienced a BSOD during a BF1 MP match, which I presumed was to do with my overclock on the CPU as I had upped my multiplier a notch and vcore and tested it under p95 (which seemed to be fine for an hour), so I just knocked it back down. Booted right back into windows, jumped back into the game, 5minutes later and the artifacting kicks in, as I saw on my previous card.

Now after having the audacity to stress test it in OCCT's PSU mode, the screen went black (after ~15s), GPU fans ramped up to 100% and I had to hard reset the machine. Card appears to be completely dead now and won't post with the GPU in any slot, except if I put an older GPU in.

My system specs:

4930K @ 4.4GHz (1.310vcore) - Stable for 2 years now (it was at 4.5 when I experienced the BSOD in BF1)

Rampage IV Black Edition

16GB Corsair Dominator 1866

MSI R9 290X Lightning (Stock)

SuperFlower Leadex 1000W Gold

I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade for a while, so truth be told I'm not all that concerned that it's dead, I'm just hoping I won't have to replace my PSU too.

Was this a dying card to begin with or has my PSU degraded it and ultimately killed it?

The power supply is not a bad quality, you could have just gotten another bad card, no way to tell really. The only thing is that you have two cards fail, while that is not a huge chance, it's still decently large enough that it could just be two bad cards. The other thing is that any testing you want done at stock speeds, no overclocking anything.

Nutkins

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Hi hang-the-9,

I tried that, with everything at stock (before I completely killed the card -_-), card would just artifact and crash to desktop. Unigine behaved a little different, it would artifact but the scene would just freeze before resetting, repeating this.