Change user account

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hey everyone,

I add an email account in the Windows emails app and, I'm not sure why, but it changed my default user account from Windows to that new email account, so the name when I start Windows and default email changed.

I contacted technical support, the only solution they gave me was to "log in using local access", meaning creating a new user and replacing the current one, with a risk of maybe losing some settings and blabla..

At that time I remember that I've found some settings where I could change the name of the user account but that never worked (can't remember how to get there anyway).

Can anybody help me? I want my main email account to be my main user account as it was before. Thanks.

Solution
If I understand your dilemma. I don't think you can change the existing local account, however you can create a new Microsoft Account with your desired email address.
Settings>accounts>Add a Microsoft Account
Then go into device manager and disable the local account:
NOTE: Only do this after you've confirmed your Microsoft account is back up and running properly and you were able to backup and move all of your data.
Open file explorer.
Right click this pc.
Select manage.
Expand local users and groups.
Select users
Right click local user account you wish to disable and select properties.
Check off account is disabled.
If I understand your dilemma. I don't think you can change the existing local account, however you can create a new Microsoft Account with your desired email address.
Settings>accounts>Add a Microsoft Account
Then go into device manager and disable the local account:
NOTE: Only do this after you've confirmed your Microsoft account is back up and running properly and you were able to backup and move all of your data.
Open file explorer.
Right click this pc.
Select manage.
Expand local users and groups.
Select users
Right click local user account you wish to disable and select properties.
Check off account is disabled.

Solution