Cant find files folder shows 30 gb and containing files are 3gbs and sudden loss of free space

Emkot

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
inside windows users in the user im using. In the properties it shows that it takes 30gbs of space. But inside the folder all the folders inside total around 3gbs of space. Also i went on to search about all the files in my pc cause while i usually have around 25 gbs free on my 120gb ssd, suddenly windows popped a notification about how much space is left and then i noticed that all of a sudden only 1gb was free. Anyone needing more info comment below. Any idea is appreciated

Solution
Google "windirstat" it's a great utility to map out the usage of your drive into a graphical representation by size of file. You get a nice view of what is taking up all the space.

Make sure you trust the site you download from, I'm not responsible if you get a virus.
Are you looking at the space allocation from File Explorer or the Disk Management utility?

They show different pictures of the device usage.

If you've not used Disk Management before, in Run or Cortana: diskmgmt.msc

Now look at the disk... You'll see all the partitions on it and the usage.

bailojustin

Distinguished

Most likely shadow copies taking up your space. Go to computer, System properties, Advanced system settings, system Protection, Configure it and delete the previous ones.

Easier way to do this, Right click on C: go to properties, Click disk cleanup, click clean up system files, accept admin prompt, second tab, delete all shadow copys but the last.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
Google "windirstat" it's a great utility to map out the usage of your drive into a graphical representation by size of file. You get a nice view of what is taking up all the space.

Make sure you trust the site you download from, I'm not responsible if you get a virus.

Solution

Emkot

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015

thx a lot i found a folder which was kinda not there.. but there.. windirstat actually helped thx