AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition, what CPU cooler actually works??

Pretty much in the Title. I've had this CPU through two different motherboards over about 5 years. Purchased 4 of them so far for my son's PCs as well. I love the performance and even after all these years it is still considered a good gaming CPU. Problem is I can't keep the damn things cooled. If just one fan falters in my case, I have a cooling problem. Right now, with nothing else running I'm at 79 Celsius. I've tried the stock, two "better" coolers and currently a Corsair water cooled that I've had for the last year. I've cleaned and reset the heatsink a few times as well. Is there a CPU cooler out there that has gained a reputation for being able to handle this CPU? Thanks for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about amd phenom 965 black edition cpu cooler works
  1. 212 evo is amazing. but so is the h100i both great coolers. I don't know about AMD compatibility but I do know about cooling capability. most coolers that support 9590 and lga 2011 are great options because the have to handle even more brutal temps so those are good. I'm using a thermaltake rgb 3.0 as of now. keeps it cool but still can't kill a 212 evo. but other brands like be quiet! and deep cool are great to
  2. Thanks! I just cleaned all the fans in my case and blew out the "radiator" part of the Corsair water cooled heatsink and I'm still at 78-79 C sitting idle. I like to play World of Tanks alot and up until the last two days I've always had over 60 fps but the last two nights I've been anywhere from 17-30 fps which is terrible. I remounted the Corsair water cooled heatsink and although the tubing is EXTREMELY hot, the air coming out of the fan that is connected to the radiator portion isn't even warm, almost cool. I'm wondering if the water isn't getting circulated? Either way, I'm probably going to get one of heatsinks you've recommended tomorrow.
  3. ewolfe said:
    Thanks! I just cleaned all the fans in my case and blew out the "radiator" part of the Corsair water cooled heatsink and I'm still at 78-79 C sitting idle. I like to play World of Tanks alot and up until the last two days I've always had over 60 fps but the last two nights I've been anywhere from 17-30 fps which is terrible. I remounted the Corsair water cooled heatsink and although the tubing is EXTREMELY hot, the air coming out of the fan that is connected to the radiator portion isn't even warm, almost cool. I'm wondering if the water isn't getting circulated? Either way, I'm probably going to get one of heatsinks you've recommended tomorrow.

make sure the pump is working :ouch:
  4. What is your cooling setup (case, fans, and your specific cooler. "Corsair" and "Better" is no help at all). I assume you have covered the basics, cleaning, new thermal paste, etc.
    In addition, what ever you are using to measure temps is incorrect, Phenom processors are not capable of running at those temps.

Download AMD Overdrive and post your thermal margin at load.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Phenom AMD CPUs