Moving Windows to an SSD without product key

OSQuestion

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
This is my first ever thread on any website like this ever, so i apologise if i accidentally made a mistake creating this. About two days ago i ordered a Samsung SSD (it hasn't arrived yet) so that i could install windows on it to get an overall more responsive experience. However i just found my windows 10 disk that i originally used on this pc and noticed that the box with the original product key was gone. So my question essentially is can i still install windows on the SSD i purchased without having to enter in a product key (which i did when i first installed windows on my HDD). I did some googling around before making this post and i can't seem to find a direct answer from anyone.

Solution

Reinstalling on a new drive, in the same...

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
If windows is currently activated you shouldn't have any issues. I switched from an hdd to an ssd back when I was using windows 7 and didn't have to buy a new key. Newer versions of windows, 8+, should even reactivate automatically. As long as it's just the storage drive you're changing.

USAFRet

Titan

Reinstalling on a new drive, in the same system, does NOT require entering the license key.

When it asks, select "I don't have a product key", at the bottom of that screen.
Later, when the system goes online, it will activate itself.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS