Windows Explorer Sidebar & VLC Media Player Volume Infinitely Scrolling Down

MedicBear

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
After a few google searches, a mouse switch and updating all my mouse drivers, I can't seem to find what's going wrong. This is as far as I can tell, only happening in specific situations. On Google Chrome there isn't an issue, and in the main part of a windows explorer window it's fine. It is only in the sidebar containing the quick access links, in VLC media player, where the volume just perpetually goes down to 0 and in the programs menu in my start menu. I can counteract the down scrolling if I scroll up on my mouse wheel.

Another, perhaps unrelated issue is that I can't open up any of the drop down menus in VLC media player, or certain other things, such as the YouTube video upload screen (when choosing whether your video is to be public, unlisted or private). The menu appears for an instant and then closes again. Same with the categories menu at the top of the TomsHardware thread writing page.

My mouse is a TeckNet Classic M002 Nano Wireless Mouse.

I am new to help forums and didn't know where else to post this, so if I've posted it in the wrong place I'm sorry.

Solution
Hi, I have a few ideas which may or may not help.

First, if you are using a laptop which has a touchpad, make sure its disabled. People often use a mouse while the touchpad is enabled and accidentally hit the touchpad while using the mouse. It's like having two active mice at once.

Next, open Control Panel (Win+R keys and type in control.exe and press OK). Go to "Ease of Access Center" and ignore the scary voice. Scroll down and click on "Make the mouse easier to use". If you do not want to use the keyboard to control your mouse, be sure that "Turn on Mouse Keys" is NOT checked. Also, make sure "Activate a window by hovering..." is NOT checked.

Next, open Control Panel and go to File Explorer Options. On the General tab, I have mine...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I have a few ideas which may or may not help.

First, if you are using a laptop which has a touchpad, make sure its disabled. People often use a mouse while the touchpad is enabled and accidentally hit the touchpad while using the mouse. It's like having two active mice at once.

Next, open Control Panel (Win+R keys and type in control.exe and press OK). Go to "Ease of Access Center" and ignore the scary voice. Scroll down and click on "Make the mouse easier to use". If you do not want to use the keyboard to control your mouse, be sure that "Turn on Mouse Keys" is NOT checked. Also, make sure "Activate a window by hovering..." is NOT checked.

Next, open Control Panel and go to File Explorer Options. On the General tab, I have mine set to "Double-click to open an item". This is more of a personal preference but it's another option for you to explore.

If none of the above works, it could be another piece of software interfering with the mouse. Try booting up into Safe Mode and see if you still have the problem. Use msconfig.exe and check "Safe boot". You will need to undo this to boot back into Windows normally when done. You would then need to systematically disable each program until you find which one is causing the problem.

Solution