Band of 'x' s displayed across top of monitor screen

Eissirhc

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
At my job we purchased 6 new computers. Upon set up, 2 computers have a band of X's across the top of the screen from left to right. It doesn't change position or size, it's always there's. It hasn't been an issue so far, but another one of the new computers just now showed the X's and it has been 2 months since purchasing them. How can I make the X's go away? Why did they occur?

Solution

These Xs or symbols may be for alignment purposes. That could mean the X's are related to monitor settings. But we don't know if the monitors are identical..........

A screenshot of the error might help. Yes, you see Xs. We may see something else.

I have a blister on my hand. What can you do doctor? First you need to come see me. Okay. So I visit his office. These are lesions. That is a cist.

When asking for help offering as much information as possible helps expedite the troubleshooting process. When you don't....

Eissirhc

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017

I had to take a pic with my phone because the screenshot did not show the 'X's
http://imgur.com/a/O5vzf

I would restart your PC in safe mode. We've still no clue who or what the patient is. Which OS? Parts list or complete make and model are still MIA. Why does my OS matter. You may be a novice. Entering Safe Mode with 7 is much different than starting in safe mode with Win 10. I prefer to be able to offer directions that can apply to novices as well as the more experienced. Hardware? It's not going to make Xs The monitors may have a special feature which presents a screen overlay for alignment purposes.

The fact that Windows can't see it suggests it is not really there. I was having hardware issues with my GTX 970. I tried many troubleshooting steps before finally crying Uncle and called EVGA for help. Anticipating their need for a screenshot I went ahead and took one. There was this weird red and black "snow" that also looked a bit like banding on lower quality monitors. However when I took the screenshot Windows couldn't see it. The screenshot showed a healthy screen. Not true. I had to take a pic with a camera like you did. The issue was with my monitor(which is now deceased so I lean in that direction), HDMI cable or its connection on the GFX card. I am using a VGA cable to connect to my monitor at the moment. Certainly not ideal but until I can afford a new monitor I am happy with it. With this setup the occasional snow disappeared. It would happen as I entered and exited games and sometimes when first logging into Windows.

The same(can't take screenshot with Windows) problem was encountered by a user over here http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/234463/alignment-grid-suddenly-showed-up-on-my-desktop Turns out it was the monitor.

Solution

JAH_ILKB

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I'm having the exact same issue of a row of Xs across the screen. I have an HP All-In-One PC. The row of Xs appear even if the computer is turned off. It is as if they have been burned into the monitor.