Samsung 2493HM LCD monitor stays black when power LED is on

Vigilance88

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me with this.

I've used this Samsung 2493HM as a second monitor and it has been broken for months now.
But before buying a new 2nd monitor I'd like to see if this one can be fixed.

The problem:
When pressing the power on button, the LED turns blue as expected, but nothing can be seen on the screen, not even a flicker.
Another thing I noticed when tryin it again after all these months, is that there is a "click" noise when I power it on, and also after a few minutes I notice a light familiar electronic burning smell.

So I looked around forums and saw many people with this problem, as these samsung lcds often seem to have faulty capacitors. I disassembled my monitor using a youtube vid, but couldn't really judge which board or caps were faulty (and yes I will also not fix it myself ;) ).

I uploaded pictures of the main, inverter and power board to imgur here:
http://imgur.com/a/yJgWp

Could the yellow glue (or whatever it is) be the problem? It looks very old and at places it shouldnt be (short circuiting maybe?)

If anyone has some time to look at them and can see where the problem might be, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit:
I missed the back of the boards earlier. This is the power board, beneath the larger heatsink.
Looks like something leaked?

http://imgur.com/a/3CNCa

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
no clue nothing seems to scream its me in that pic. could be a dead led panel thing is you said you had a faint burning smell coming off of it. honestly chuck it out mate. worst case you die in a fire best case you find out where the smell is coming from and MIGHT be able to fix it.

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
In that case I'm with chass, I don't see anything wrong with any caps. You might have a bad resistor, but you'd have to check each one with a multimeter.

Edit: actually the 3rd cap down on the left in the first pic does look a little bulged to me, but I couldn't say for sure that it's bad.

TRENDING THREADS