First signs my GPU is kicking the bucket ?

lukas1624

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Hi all,

I just subscribed to Tom's because I'm starting to have some problems with my GPU, at least I think it is, so I hope this is the right section of the forum.

To the matter, I've bought this AMD Radeon HD 7950 Overclocked 3gb back in autumn 2012 and it's now starting to give problems i think. Most of the time when I play video games like Rust or The Elder Scrolls Online the screen suddenly gets stripes of different colors everytime it happens, it happend now 5 to 7 times in a week, then the sound goes fine for 3 seconds until it starts making strange noises, and I have to reboot the pc manually. Another thing I noticed is that when I look at .gif files online the video gets black and I have to restart it, it happens more often now, Last thing that happend, just once so far, is that suddenly textes disappeared when I moved my mouse cursor on it, had to reboot too. So I checked new drivers, I installed the latests 17.1.1 on the AMD Catalyst, cleaned off some of the dust, but it didn't work. Also checked the temperatures, 21° celsius when in idle, 41° when browsing Chrome and reached 63° when playing Rust.

So anyone could give me some tips if there is anything else I could try or if it's time to buy a new one.

Thank you !

Pkai92

Respectable
Oct 20, 2016
First thing i would try is a spare Monitor if you can get from a friend. If your Mobo has an onboard graphics card then go to Bios and switch the primary display to the onboard graphics card to check if it is a GPU issue.