Bad Pool Header Error after changing primary display & restart

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
This is more of an annoyance than anything.

On the system in my signature(it also happened when I had 2 970's and a HDD for the OS, and different Ram) I regularly get the Bad Pool Error after changing displays and setting the new one at primary and doing a restart.

3 Displays: 31" LG Cinema 4k/60hz/Vsync via DP 1.2, 27" Aus 1440p/144hz/Gsync via Dp 1.2, HiSense 55" 4k/60hz/Vsync via HDMI 2.0.

Usually after a 2nd restart it corrects itself except when I switch the HDMI. That can cause any number of errors after a restart or fresh start from switching to.

I regularly do clean installs of NV driver updates. I've tried reinstalling Windows(10 64bit Pro).

I don't get an actual error code just Bad Pool Header then I have to restart 1 or 2 times. It only happens after changing the primary display.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Well, I think I solved it.

There are hundreds of posts on the 'net about this issue spanning many different causes. It was obviously something to do with my displays which are all plugged into the same card(I have to since they're SLI).

I kept having issues lately with the 'handshake' for the DP>HDMI adpater to my receiver for audio fully working. PC and receiver saw each other but no sound unless I did a ridiculous amount of display switching and restarts.

I decided to enable the onboard MOBO audio so I could use the digital coaxial(the only other thing I have long enough cables to use). I had to install the realtek drivers, and a couple of restarts. At one point during this I got that error again and after a few restarts and BSODS and Windows fixing itself the driver/realtek was finally installed. The port is active and now I have the audio defaulted to it, separate from any of the displays.

After a weekend of various tests and restarts, the problem has not come back.